Does anyone carry back up SPG / computer or any other gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I have both upgraded our computers and carry our first ones (oceanic Veo 100) as back up.

Mask fully on and regulator in place until you get to the boat is basic safety. I've been diving for 50 years and have never lost a mask. Recently I've been cleaning out a lot of junk so I can move. I found masks so old they were museum pieces. They brought back memories, but you have to be ruthless.

Is that the oval-shaped mask, which you can't pinch your nose to equalize your ears?

Is that the oval-shaped mask, which you can't pinch your nose to equalize your ears?
No, the oldest were big three- window masks from the early 70s. The even older ovals had indents for nose squeezing. All black rubber and stainless steel. I found other antiques, but the only things I kept were a pair of very old Voit fins in wonderful condition and a small mask that belonged to a long gone ex-girlfriend with traces of white powder sand in it from a long ago beach.

I love AI, but I always carry a SPG for when the transmitter fails during a dive.

I love AI, but I always carry a SPG for when the transmitter fails during a dive.

In 6 years/750 dives, the transmitter for my Oceanic VT3 has been unlinked for 30 seconds or less maybe 10-15 times. I'm generally unaware of these episodes, they are all recorded in the downloaded dive profile. I have a SPG, have never needed it

I take a back up camera. If I've spent lots of $ to go halfway round the world, I don't want to be without my camera. I have a presciption mask and should carry a backup, but it certainly never sits on the top of my head. On my face or around my neck.

I always carry a backup set of gauges and compass. I do not want to have to thumb the dive if my computer fails prior to or during a dive, and it is nice to be able to compare air readings.

I take a back up camera. If I've spent lots of $ to go halfway round the world, I don't want to be without my camera. I have a presciption mask and should carry a backup, but it certainly never sits on the top of my head. On my face or around my neck.

I forgot about that one. Me too, carrying my backup camera. Going to GBR in November, Galapagos in December & plan to charter a liveaboard for 13-day crossing from Ambon to Sorong through Banda sea & Raja Ampat, Indonesia in November, 2017. I sure don't want to have my old camera (and dive computer & mask) caput in the middle of nowhere. :)

plan to charter a liveaboard for 13-day crossing from Ambon to Sorong through Banda sea & Raja Ampat, Indonesia in November, 2017. I sure don't want to have my old camera (and dive computer & mask) caput in the middle of nowhere. :)

I did the Ambon to Sorong trip last November, it was epic.

Cool! Thanks for the feedback, dirfarmer! A dive master of Mermaid liveaboard, when I took it from Bali to Komodo roundtrip cruise back in August 2014, said that November is the right time to go for Ambon-Sorong crossing trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom