Does anyone ask to see your logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you use subsurface it can sync with your mobile phone now.

wont censor the profanities though :D
Technically not correct: You can export your log "anonymously" which literally replaces all text bei xxx. The idea is that you can share the numerical details of your dive (or a logbook that causes Subsurface problems) without revealing your personal notes, buddy names, etc.

Ive never been asked for log book.
Only asked to see c card on LOB

I fill my own gases so never had to produce a card for fills

local charters are all - here’s liability form and a spot for your highest cert rating and number but they don’t actually look.
I didn’t do many charters until I was tech diving. So I guess they sort of judge you based on how you handle yourself and your gear setup.

I've been asked to show my log book at several dive ops in particular for specific courses such as solo diver and technical diving.

Conversely I've pitched up at some dive ops and never had to show anything!

I'll be going to a new dive op next week in Egypt, so it will be interesting to see what they ask for.

So, speaking of log books. I am a bit OCD, but isn't that what you want in an anesthesiologist? I chart all day at work, so I guess it's natural to feel as though I need to chart my dives. I just got back from my first liveaboard - Calipso - Galapagos - Awesome - see my post in South America - and I dutifully logged each and every dive ad nauseam to include sealife Genus and species, etc, etc. I received some good-hearted ribbing about it during the trip, but Guess what? On the last day my log book was borrowed by several people to help reconstruct the trip and their own logbooks!

In 37 years of diving the west coast, florida, alaska and internationally no one has ever asked to see my log books. I have been asked how many dives I have done in the previous 12 months, but no one has ever asked to see my log books. I have not kept a log, except for science diving, for decades

Been diving since 1978 am I am confused? What is this logbook you are asking about? A book about logs? How many logs do you see diving? Now once my dive buddy had to much fiber but…..well….. it wasn’t something I talk about. B

What are people using for Dive Logs these days ? Is there a phone app or computer program divers are using?

Is there a log book that has write in the rain paper that you can add pages to and have a paper record of your dive history ?

What are people using for Dive Logs these days ? Is there a phone app or computer program divers are using?

Is there a log book that has write in the rain paper that you can add pages to and have a paper record of your dive history ?
Lots of options. I stopped logging for many years as I did not see the value in the paper logs. Knowing myself, I knew I would not thumb through logbooks looking for something. The organization and retrievability aspect just sucks.

I resumed logging when I had a dive computer with logging capability (and a means to download). The online logs did appeal to me, so I resumed logging since 2013 or so. At that point, I used the logging software that Oceanic recommended. At some point between 2013 and 2019, I started using Subsurface. I also now own a Shearwater, so the Oceanic log wouldn't work, but Subsurface works fine. I also use Shearwater Cloud, but mainly to manage firmware updates.

Subsurface does also offer a Mobile app. There are also other computer agnostic options with both desktop and mobile versions (MacDive, Diving Log, etc.)

Though I'm not usually asked, if I needed to, I could easily show all my dives done since 2013 just by pulling up the mobile app on my phone.

My primary log book is a custom spreadsheet I developed years ago. That is the only place that I have all dives logged.

I also have all of my dives since first purchasing a Shearwater computer in Nov 2012 logged on Shearwater Cloud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom