Does a new reg need servicing before use ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david.tolan

Contributor
Reaction score
If I buy a reg from an internet shop, does it come ready to rumble, or do I have to take it down to the LDS, and spend the difference in price on having them service it ?

Do LDSs simply hand you a box when you buy a reg, or does the price include a "check to make sure it works" ?

Thanks,
D

Brand new regs are ready for use. The first service doesn't need to happen until a year later...no matter where you buy it from. The service replaces o-rings that have been worn through use, makes sure the inside of the reg is clear of corrosion, makes sure reg is tuned properly. New regs come this way from the factory.

I've often wondered this too. Though I understand Dive-aholic's point about parts being worn through use, what about valve seats that rest against their orifices, taking a set over time while the reg is on the shelf? At least theoretically?

I have purchased 2 reg sets, one from my LDS and one from ScubaToys. They came like this:

LDS - ScubaPro Mk25/S600 with R190 Octo.
Dealer hands me 2 boxes off the shelf. Didn't install the octo or check the regs in any way.

ScubaToys - Zeagle ZX Flathead XP with Oceanic computer. Everything came completely assembled and ready to go, including computer, nicely packed in a FREE reg bag. I think I remember Larry saying they tested all the regs before shipping.

Every reg should be ready to straight from the factory. It is nice though, when the dealer assembles everything and tests it before it leaves the shop.

New ones often benefit from tuning. I know George doesn't let new regs leave the shop without going to the bench & getting a look over. Octos, conoles & such get installed & pressure checked.

Marek K:
I've often wondered this too. Though I understand Dive-aholic's point about parts being worn through use, what about valve seats that rest against their orifices, taking a set over time while the reg is on the shelf? At least theoretically?

Good point Marek. Hopefully there's enough turnover in the shop though so that isn't a problem.

Wayward Son:
New ones often benefit from tuning. I know George doesn't let new regs leave the shop without going to the bench & getting a look over. Octos, conoles & such get installed & pressure checked.

Unfortunately, not all shops do that. I may be wrong, but I think that's the exception, not the rule. Although I have found a couple of "exception" shops (all hours far from me of course) and purchase from them now.

My new MK25/S600 from Scubatoys wasn't tuned quite right out of the box, and had to send it back for a little tweaking. Was this a hassle? A little, but it only cost me $6 in shipping and they had it in & out the same day. My local scubapro dealer took almost 3 weeks to service another set of regs last year, and still managed to screw up my 1st. Had the LDS even bothered to test my regs, they would have easily noticed the problem. So much for that shop. Darned expensive service charges too.
Thus, I went with Scubatoys when I bought the new set. Great customer service, quick shipping, great prices, and inexpensive annual service (I believe $39.99 for the entire set inc. console/computer if you bought it from them). And like Dirthead mentioned, it came all assembled in a free reg bag. Nice.

If you buy from Scubatoys, ask Larry your question about tuning... I'd bet since you are in Ireland, he'd make double sure they are 'right'.
Jeff

I've had the pleasure to do business with Larry before. I very likely will again at some stage.

If he sold Apeks he'd certainly be a port of call when I do buy. Not sure who would service zeagle regs over here 8-(

D

farfromwater:
<snip>
If you buy from Scubatoys, ask Larry your question about tuning... I'd bet since you are in Ireland, he'd make double sure they are 'right'.
Jeff

Not all new regs are tuned nicely. If they are, it's just luck. The Intermediate Pressure is set and the reg generally will not free flow. That is it. If you want it tuned to breath nicely, then some adjustments may be necessary.

In a perfect world a reg will come out of the box and work fine, and I would say that in 90% of the cases, this is how it works.

But if a reg has been sitting on the shelf a long while the second stage soft seat can develop an excessive seating groove due to the constant spring pressure forcing the seat against the orifice. This is less likely to happen in a balanced second stage but is possible in an unbalanced downstream design.

First stage valve components are essentially open when not connected to a tank, so they could sit forever with no damage to the high pressure seat. Modern O-rings also have a shelf life measured in decades so deterioration there is not really an issue.

So ideally a dive shop would do a quick flow test on the reg to confirm the IP is solid and within specs and that the inhalation resistance is within specs and that the reg is leak free.

A really good shop would also adjust the reg for you to match your particular breathing preferences. Some people like harder breathing regs, and some like them as easy breathing as possible. Most regs seems to come from the factory adjusted somewhere in between and probably keep most people happy but are ideally adjusted for relatively few.

I regard that as an extra service that a local dive shop can offer that an on-line seller cannot.

Back
Top Bottom