Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[off-topic subject matter redacted. -Mod]

Snap out of it @kierentec. You are neither saint nor sinner. Nevertheless, I’m not buying into the GUE sales pitch or the exoneration of guilt trip. I’m not fully aware of the implications of your estranged relationship with said sugar daddy; although, like most of the technical instructor/student arrangements, it’s purely business—signed, sealed and delivered—end of story. The international technical diving community (which I'm associated) don’t need another drama queen. My unbiased experience tells me that Guy was well versed (far more than you'll ever be), and well supported by his dedicated crew to execute these extreme deep dives. However, when most do undertake record breaking depths, they do so in small increments. They don’t set out to smash the world record held by Amed Gabr ((332.35 meters), who beat by 46 feet (14.1 meters) the existing world record, which was set by South African Nuno Gomes in 2005. Take Will Goodmans’ record breaking dive to 300 meters. Poland’s Krzysztof Starnawski broke that record by a mere three meters. In the bogus GUE article you submitted, there was no mention of heating systems or problems associated with breathing Trimix at extreme depths. Human lungs are like a furnace, when the flames goes out you cannot reignite.

PS. Keep up the good work submitting those articles on various CCRs.

[My unbiased experience tells me that Guy was well versed (far more than you'll ever be), and well supported by his dedicated crew to execute these extreme deep dives.
Cough...except he didn't execute anything except himself.

[off-topic subject matter redacted. -Mod]

Snap out of it @kierentec. You are neither saint nor sinner. Nevertheless, I’m not buying into the GUE sales pitch or the exoneration of guilt trip. I’m not fully aware of the implications of your estranged relationship with said sugar daddy; although, like most of the technical instructor/student arrangements, it’s purely business—signed, sealed and delivered—end of story. The international technical diving community (which I'm associated) don’t need another drama queen. My unbiased experience tells me that Guy was well versed (far more than you'll ever be), and well supported by his dedicated crew to execute these extreme deep dives. However, when most do undertake record breaking depths, they do so in small increments. They don’t set out to smash the world record held by Amed Gabr ((332.35 meters), who beat by 46 feet (14.1 meters) the existing world record, which was set by South African Nuno Gomes in 2005. Take Will Goodmans’ record breaking dive to 300 meters. Poland’s Krzysztof Starnawski broke that record by a mere three meters. In the bogus GUE article you submitted, there was no mention of heating systems or problems associated with breathing Trimix at extreme depths. Human lungs are like a furnace, when the flames goes out you cannot reignite.

PS. Keep up the good work submitting those articles on various CCRs.
I'd really like to think this is a helpful contribution to the discussion. But I am unable to parse it. Mostly I come with away from reading it several times with a sense of exasperation.

So the Navy divers who experienced panic in a 15' foot pool...they didn't have enough 15' pool dives to build up the ability to "handle the dump of hormones"?
Okay, I’m not sure why this is being asked, but as one who went through the U.S. Navy’s School for Underwater Swimmers at Key West, Florida in 1967, if a person in that situation panicked in 15 feet of pool water, that person probably did not graduate and become a U.S. Navy diver. So saying that “So the Navy divers who experienced panic in a 15’ pool…they didn’t have enough 15’ pool dives to build up the ability to ‘handle the dum of hormones’” is not accurate. They simply would not graduate from that school and become U.S. Navy divers.

SeaRat
U.S. Air Force Pararescueman, 1967-1977

Okay, I’m not sure why this is being asked, but as one who went through the U.S. Navy’s School for Underwater Swimmers at Key West, Florida in 1967, if a person in that situation panicked in 15 feet of pool water, that person probably did not graduate and become a U.S. Navy diver. So saying that “So the Navy divers who experienced panic in a 15’ pool…they didn’t have enough 15’ pool dives to build up the ability to ‘handle the dum of hormones’” is not accurate. They simply would not graduate from that school and become U.S. Navy divers.

SeaRat
U.S. Air Force Pararescueman, 1967-1977

Isn't that referencing Navy divers who were participants in an experiment that was explicitly intended to create panic? So not people doing the normal training process, and presumably a scenario set up such that it is very very difficult, if not impossible, to avoid panic eventually, due to the physiological manipulation taking place. So it wouldn't be representative of their ability as Navy divers or their general ability to manage panic. (I would guess part of the reason for choosing them as test subjects would be the expectation that they are NOT likely to panic easily?)

Isn't that referencing Navy divers who were participants in an experiment that was explicitly intended to create panic? So not people doing the normal training process, and presumably a scenario set up such that it is very very difficult, if not impossible, to avoid panic eventually, due to the physiological manipulation taking place. So it wouldn't be representative of their ability as Navy divers or their general ability to manage panic. (I would guess part of the reason for choosing them as test subjects would be the expectation that they are NOT likely to panic easily?)
Yes, exactly.

Okay, I'll give you that if you'll link me to the study. I have not seen it, and I read back a number of pages here, but could not find any reference to it.

SeaRat

Okay, I'll give you that if you'll link me to the study. I have not seen it, and I read back a number of pages here, but could not find any reference to it.

SeaRat

He gave me this reference, but I could not find exactly he was actually referencing so I moved on. May be you have a better way of finding it. Please let me know what turns up.

But, if PCO2 continues to increase the ball will go over the edge regardless of your efforts. They proved this in people with the condition where their amygdala doesn't function properly and prevents them from feeling fear by simply jacking up their PCO2 and guess what? They had panic attacks. Feinstein, J. et al. Nature Neurosci. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nn.3323 (2013).

He gave me this reference, but I could not find exactly he was actually referencing so I moved on. May be you have a better way of finding it. Please let me know what turns up.

I think this is the one about Navy divers, from one of his earlier comments. “Warkander DE and Shykoff BE. Combinations of Breathing Resistance and Inspired CO2: Effects on Exercise Endurance, NEDU TR 14-14, Navy Experimental Diving Unit, Feb 2015”

ETA: Hm. Maybe not? There’s more to look at referenced here: What’s All the Fuss about CO2 in Breathing Gas? - Shearwater Research

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom