Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

direct quote from Warkander DE and Shykoff BE. Combinations of Breathing Resistance and Inspired CO2: Effects on Exercise Endurance, NEDU TR 14-14, Navy Experimental Diving Unit, Feb 2015...."an experienced Navy diver described a sudden sense of panic as his PETCO2 climbed from about 60 to 65 Torr."
The report you cite does not seem to be available. Do you have a copy, or can you point to a link?

The report you cite does not seem to be available. Do you have a copy, or can you point to a link?
Sometimes google is better than google scholar. Here you go. FWIW, I can't find the quote anywhere in the document.

Oh, odd that they'd write two articles with the same title. I've not encountered that before.
14-14 and 15-05 do not have the same title. The latter pops up if you search for the former with Google, because many of the words in the title are the same. Try putting quote marks around the title of 14-14 and see what you get.

Sometimes google is better than google scholar. Here you go. FWIW, I can't find the quote anywhere in the document.
VikingDives,

That is an interesting study, but, as stated above, doesn’t have the exact quote I was interested in.

SeaRat

I think that Doc deep had enough experience to do full trimix dives within the trainingrange up to 100m. That is no problem. I also think he was able to do dives outside the trainingrange. I also think he was more talented than the average diver, so he could progress faster through training. The only question is: how far out of that range is safe with that experience?
The steps in depth he made were really really big.

In standards is stated that a diver cannot go deeper than 12m per dive from his deepest dive. So that means if you went to 60m, the next step is 72m maximum. But I think this is still a lot if you go over 130m depth.
I mention 130m, because from my own experience the problems start in that range. This is individual of course.

Yes, I think he had a great team amoung him to help him. But to go over 130m depth, you must know your body really well, you must know how it react, is hpns a thing that every time happens at depth X or just now and then? Do I feel strange at depth? etc. And this takes time (and money). I believe you can do a 150m dive or a 200m dive and come up safe without a lot of training. But then it is just a good luck. I think you must have experienced some problems at depth that you have to solve alone (safetydivers don't go so deep normally). Going over 200m is still a dangerous depth, even 150m is still not a safe depth, and maybe 100m also not. But the fact is, quite a lot of divers go once in their lifes to 100m, only a few go to 120m. And to 150m only a few from the few. Etc. This means there is still a lot unknown about going so deep.

I think the hardest thing in diving is to say no. And this is a thing you learn with growing experience.
If you look back, have you ever done a trust me dive? I think all of us have done. Have you done stupid things? I think all of us also have done. Have you ever done a dive where you think, maybe I had to quit? I think also most of us have done.

No small irony that the ads on the page are plugging equipment on the basis of a 245 m / 800 ft. dive. It's true, everyone's first question is "how deep have you gone?" But the pursuit of depth for depth's sake is so frequently lethal.

View attachment 768700
My thoughts on sponsoring gear for depth attempts is I consider it the same as being "the official ammunition supplier for a Russian Roulette Tournament". So, I don't.

Has nothing to do with if my gear can do it or not.
I do however see the marketing is effective, however will pass on that, my instructor self wouldn't approve of it

My thoughts on sponsoring gear for depth attempts is I consider it the same as being "the official ammunition supplier for a Russian Roulette Tournament". So, I don't.

Has nothing to do with if my gear can do it or not.
I do however see the marketing is effective, however will pass on that, my instructor self wouldn't approve of it
The irony of this attempt was that this depth has already been blown past by saturation divers. Nothing was going to be proved or learned from this if he had succeeded, other than he could drag enough tanks with him to the bottom of the ocean. The task would have been a lot easier if he was trying to do it with a rebreather, but again, It's been done by others with more appropriate gear and support.

It is akin to the flat Earther that built a rocket. He could have hired a plane to do what he wanted his rocket to do. or used a hundred other perfectly legitimate method of measuring the curvature of the Earth that have been around since antiquity.

I think that Doc deep had enough experience to do full trimix dives within the trainingrange up to 100m. That is no problem. I also think he was able to do dives outside the trainingrange. I also think he was more talented than the average diver, so he could progress faster through training. The only question is: how far out of that range is safe with that experience?
The steps in depth he made were really really big.

In standards is stated that a diver cannot go deeper than 12m per dive from his deepest dive. So that means if you went to 60m, the next step is 72m maximum. But I think this is still a lot if you go over 130m depth.
I mention 130m, because from my own experience the problems start in that range. This is individual of course.

Yes, I think he had a great team amoung him to help him. But to go over 130m depth, you must know your body really well, you must know how it react, is hpns a thing that every time happens at depth X or just now and then? Do I feel strange at depth? etc. And this takes time (and money). I believe you can do a 150m dive or a 200m dive and come up safe without a lot of training. But then it is just a good luck. I think you must have experienced some problems at depth that you have to solve alone (safetydivers don't go so deep normally). Going over 200m is still a dangerous depth, even 150m is still not a safe depth, and maybe 100m also not. But the fact is, quite a lot of divers go once in their lifes to 100m, only a few go to 120m. And to 150m only a few from the few. Etc. This means there is still a lot unknown about going so deep.

I think the hardest thing in diving is to say no. And this is a thing you learn with growing experience.
If you look back, have you ever done a trust me dive? I think all of us have done. Have you done stupid things? I think all of us also have done. Have you ever done a dive where you think, maybe I had to quit? I think also most of us have done.
You say, “… I believe you can do a 150m dive or a 200m dive and come up safe without a lot of training. But then it is just a good luck…” I don’t believe that statement. To state that in a forum is to give some people an idea that maybe they can do it too. This type of dive is one which should simply not be attempted. If divers need to be at that depth, there are other means to do so (saturation diving with mixed gas). You cannot depend upon how a diver “feels” to do this kind of dive, as some conditions will come without any advanced warning.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom