Do you wear a dive watch? (not computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both and my wife have these ones, purchased in 1980 and still working great:
F069E41F-F6DD-4268-A196-5850B4E3E3AC.jpeg

Instead both our sons have Citizen ones, which include a depth meter:
3117656865.jpg

I use a Seiko dive watch I've had for a number of years. I wear it while diving and also topside. I don't carry around one of those nasty cell phones that have become ubiquitous. I do keep one in my truck, but seldom use it. I sometimes use a dive computer, but not when I'm diving in shallow inlets, which is most of my diving these days. On these shallow dives there is zero chance of getting bent, so I use the watch to know how long I 've been in the water. This is my fourth Seiko dive watch. They are excellent in every way- tough, accurate, reliable, handsome. I purchased the first in Southeast Asia during an extended unpleasantness there a long time ago. It's now a collector's item.

Both and my wife have these ones, purchased in 1980 and still working great:
F069E41F-F6DD-4268-A196-5850B4E3E3AC.jpeg

Instead both our sons have Citizen ones, which include a depth meter:
3117656865.jpg
Both are great watches. That Seiko 7548 was the first quartz dive watch. Amazing piece!

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who only uses a watch, depth gauge, and tables to dive. It's just such a suboptimal approach that it makes no sense anymore given how good dive computers are. Some people say it's good to have a watch as a backup in case of a computer failure, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. You'd still need a depth gauge.
I learned on tables and dive watches and it's a habit that I still embrace. Watches (of which I have accumulated quite a few over the years) have always been part of my bare-bones dive kit that I carry (which lives behind my truck's bench seat), and which only requires a quick trip to a local dive shop for a rental tank, if conditions are just too good to possibly last, and I have no time to get home.

It is also a dependable backup, for when electronics go tits-up, which they have done a few times over the years. I shrugged, maybe swore a bit, and looked at the elapsed time on my watch's bezel, and continued.

I also carry an analogue SPG / pressure gauge, along with NAUI tables in my dive bag; and I find the whole thing rather liberating, that bare minimum of kit, which had always been the biggest appeal when I first began scuba, as a kid -- and it's reassuring that you can still dive without being lit up like a Christmas tree and dressed for a marine assault on Pebble Beach . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3549.jpeg
    IMG_3549.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 36
I learned on tables and dive watches and it's a habit that I still embrace. Watches (of which I have accumulated quite a few over the years) have always been part of my bare-bones dive kit that I carry (which lives behind my truck's bench seat), and which only requires a quick trip to a local dive shop for a rental tank, if conditions are just too good to possibly last, and I have no time to get home.

It is also a dependable backup, for when electronics go tits-up, which they have done a few times over the years. I shrugged, maybe swore a bit, and looked at the elapsed time on my watch's bezel, and continued.

I also carry an analogue SPG / pressure gauge, along with NAUI tables in my dive bag; and I find the whole thing rather liberating, that bare minimum of kit, which had always been the biggest appeal when I first began scuba, as a kid -- and it's reassuring that you can still dive without being lit up like a Christmas tree and dressed for that marine assault on Pebble Beach . . .
By all means dive the way you like and prefer. But I don't see how diving tables, SPG, depth gauge, and watch is less gear than me with my Teric and a transmitter.

By all means dive the way you like and prefer. But I don't see how diving tables, SPG, depth gauge, and watch is less gear than me with my Teric and a transmitter.
I too have a Teric with a transmitter but am not in the habit of leaving either in my truck. That aforementioned kit is only for last minute purposes.

My SPG / depth gauge is a tiny console (and a backup for the Shearwater, when in use, since I have seen transmitters crap out like nobody's business, my Swifts included) attached to a compact Cyklon 300; those tables stay in the truck; and I use a hard backpack for those last minute opportunities, along with a weight belt, since a 7mm suit is more than sufficient for buoyancy, and the way I was originally trained.

Aside from the Shearwater, how much kit to you carry in total? Any backup?

I too have a Teric with a transmitter but am not in the habit of leaving either in my truck. That kit is only for last minute use.

My SPG / depth gauge is a tiny console (and a backup for the Shearwater, when in use, since I have seen transmitters crap out like nobody's business, Shearwaters included) attached to a compact Cyklon 300; those tables stay in the truck; and I use a hard backpack without even a bladder for those last minute opportunities, along with a weight belt, since a 7mm suit is more than sufficient for buoyancy.

Aside from the Shearwater, how much kit to you carry in total? Any backup?
I see.

I use a Peregrine as a backup, but only when I'm on multi-day dive trips. I bring along a small SPG in my bag too just in case. But for local diving I don't bother with a backup. If my computer or transmitter fails, I'll just thumb the dive and head home.

The 2 Seko are my 'go to' , I wear one or the other most days, the black Seiko 200m I wear on some dives ,the Citizen was my dive watch for years, and the Tauchmeister is my 'dress watch', it's a brick, but I like it.
I dive with a Perdix Ai and a Peregrine back up most dives now, but at times still take the Seiko and Perdix only.
IMG_20240228_070706.jpg

Cassio G-shock with 200 meter depth rating is an excellent dive watch. You can even start the stopwatch function at depth, if you forgot to do it when you splashed. They last a lot longer than any dive computer I have had. I probably go through like 6-8 used dive computers before the watch band even wears out and I wear the watch all the time, never take it off.

If you want jewelry, get something else, if you want a dive watch.. G-shock.

I have a Citizen Eco-drive that is rarely off my wrist, I got it a few years to replace a Seiko. that died and parts were a problem due to its age.

I wear it for a number of reasons
1. It tells me the time
2. I don’t need to worry about, showering, washing dishes, boating, diving etc
3. How would people know I an a diver 😀

When it breaks/ wears out / gets lostI will just get a new one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom