Do you use different fins for different dives ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I highjacked my own thread because I was curious:

I use different fins for different dives. I have splits & rockets, I consider myself one of the lucky ones, because I don't think one is better then the other.

I enjoy diving with both them. Just like anything else "use the right tool for the right job"

I am just curious if people, switch back and forth like I do or are they set in their ways.

Here is my reason to use different fins:

Splits work well for me when I know I going to be going up against a current or open water, and no tight turns, etc.

BUT

When I'm around a wreck, I like my rockets, because I can't do Helicopters, or frogs in splits. I have heard some people can, but I am one who cannot, and I just like to putter around wrecks and take in the sights, so speed isn't a factor for me.

It's like using a Harley (Splits) for long easy straights, and the Rice Burner (Rockets) for cornering. But like I said that's what works for me.

If I don't know what I am getting into I'll choose my Rockets. I would rather have versitility then speed.

Well if I'm diving off a boat I use my SP twin jets, the only type of diving I've done so far.
If I am just doing some snorkeling, I use my U.S. Divers fins, don't want to mess up my twin jets. I have been thinking about getting some of those SP jet fins, they seem to be pretty popular. But I would never, let me repeat myself, never dive with pink fins. :wink:

I have 4-5 pairs of fins. I generally use my Apollo Bio Fins when diving the Park or doing shore dives. I love them. If I am doing domestic travel, or diving from a dive boat off the island, I may switch to my Aqualung Blades. If traveling, it is to reduce weight since the Bio Fins are heavy and harder to pack. If I'm traveling internationally, I usually take a cheap pair of used Dacor fins since I wouldn't be too upset if they were lost or stolen. When I'm looking for nostalgia, I'll use my old jet fins.

Dr. Bill

I tried my monofin in KL this weekend....It's :10: so cool...I'm a Merman now!

Joe

I usually use a pair of Blades for wetsuit dives and Turtles for drysuit. This is mostly a size thing because there's no way my DS boots can fit in my Blades pocket.

Yes I do. Generally for the shore dives that I do, I'd use my Genesis response fins... My feet fit perfectly in them with booties. However these fins are fairly stiff and somewhat heavy, so if I'm doing a boat dive, or diving in some sheltered area. Then I'll gladly slip on my Aeris Velocity fullfoot fins.

I use my Jetfins 98-99% of the time. If I’ve got an open water (i.e. no reef, out in the blue looking for big pelagics) dive planned, I grab my Apollo Bio-fin Pros. I actually prefer my Jetfins for handling strong current.

Nope. Same fins (Turtles) for all dive conditions. I could use anything I want and have plenty to pick from but the Turtles do it all and are better at it than any of the others I've used.

(the Turtles are essentially a larger pocket Jet Fin perfomance wise)

I use jets with drysuit but prefer my aqualung blades when diving wet...looking at my location will tell you which pair I use most...

Size of footpockets in Jets and their effect on trim with a wetsuit would be the main reasons...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom