Do you turn the air off or leave it on after setting up on a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies

the reason I ask was because the low battery warning came on during a liverboard trip and I did not have the backup battery with me…. Yes as soon as the warning came on I would have changed but being out in the middle of nowhere with no battery I would have gone back to old school gauges
If you have the gauges, you could put them on in anticipation of the battery failing. waing until you are forced to abort the dive seems like a waste.

If you have the gauges, you could put them on in anticipation of the battery failing. waing until you are forced to abort the dive seems like a waste.
Yeah, for sure. If I was in the middle of a bunch of diving and found myself with a battery warning, without a battery for the transmitter, I would likely attach a spare SPG to my left post (transmitter is on right) and continue diving. But,...
the reason I ask was because the low battery warning came on during a liverboard trip and I did not have the backup battery with me…. Yes as soon as the warning came on I would have changed but being out in the middle of nowhere with no battery I would have gone back to old school gauges
A spare battery and o-ring doesn't take up much space in a save a dive kit. Among other things, I carry a spare battery for each transmitter and dive computer that we have.

Thanks for the replies

Keep a spare set of batteries in your regulator-bag. I do.

Thanks again for the replies

yes the perfect plan would be to have backup batteries with me, but in my case I did not and I was on a liveaboard where I couldn't go get more, so I was just wondering how long they would last once the low battery came on

I change my PPS battery every time I change the battery in my ancient Oceanic VT3 computer. That is around 250 dives, at least 250 dive hours, I have never gotten a low battery warning for my transmitter, either on the VT3 or on my Teric.

Thanks again for the replies yes the perfect plan would be to have backup batteries with me, but in my case I did not and I was on a liveaboard where I couldn't go get more, so I was just wondering how long they would last once the low battery came on

I have a cressi digital console spg. I put on the regs then open the gas valve, check the gas pressure. Then I close the gas valve and purge the air from the regulators. This is so the cressi does not stay powered on. In any case before dive I check thegas is turned on and my buddy's air is on as part of our pre dive buddy checks.

I tell the boat staff about my spg and why the requirement from me to keep the tank closed if not diving.

Keep a spare set of batteries in your regulator-bag. I do.
Spare batteries don’t hold up in a save-a-dive kit. The spare battery in mine lasted all of three days in a puck computer. I’m not saying don’t bring them, but consider it a temporary fix.

Spare batteries don’t hold up in a save-a-dive kit. The spare battery in mine lasted all of three days in a puck computer. I’m not saying don’t bring them, but consider it a temporary fix.
Sounds like you had either expired batteries, "cheap" batteries, or bad batteries.

I keep spare batteries for everything I use diving in my save-a-dive kit, and have never had this issue. I also usually go for lithium batteries, and check the expiration upon purchase.

My old oceanic puck computer is probably flakey now. I mean batteries don't hold up, in this case is not true. 10 year old or Dated 6mo new shows it will operate the other simple bottom timer oceanic puck with either the batteries. Now it seems temperature if cold stops the computer right after self test. I'm not trusting the computer. I dive 1 dive and usually 30 to 40 foot max in a day. Tables if I go below 30 foot is fine for me. I just brought this up as I was concerned about old batteries still under the 10 year dates given on package. For S&G's I think to put timer in console an computer in BC pocket to see if it will ever record in cold weather and or cold water anymore. 30 years for these and the memories of past dives are all still there on both devices even if batteries removed temporarily. EEPROM maybe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom