Do you think Nitrox is a deep diving gas?

Is nitrox with O2 greater than air a deep diving gas?

• Yes

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 244 79.0%
  • Are you Nitrox certified?

Votes: 150 48.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No.

A nitrox of 18% O2 will have a deeper MOD than air.

Duh.

Depends on how you define Nitrox. Nitrox is usually defined as a gas having a greater percentage of o2 than air, and thus starts at 22% (rounding to whole numbers). If you're defining Nitrox as "any mix of o2 and n2", then sure.

A gas mix of 18% o2 is a hypoxic mix, and not "Nitrox" as commonly discussed. (Especially in a thread ostensibly about recreational limits)

Nope.

You're confusing "nitrox" with "EAN". If you're confused about the former, hint, take a stab at what the "Nitr" and "ox" parts stand for. A mix of 18% oxygen and 82% nitrogen is most definitely a nitrox; it is not, however, EAN.

Again, duh.

Depends on how you define Nitrox. Nitrox is usually defined as a gas having a greater percentage of o2 than air, and thus starts at 22% (rounding to whole numbers). If you're defining Nitrox as "any mix of o2 and n2", then sure.

A gas mix of 18% o2 is a hypoxic mix, and not "Nitrox" as commonly discussed. (Especially in a thread ostensibly about recreational limits)

Nope.

You're confusing "nitrox" with "EAN". If you're confused about the former, hint, take a stab at what the "Nitr" and "ox" parts stand for. A mix of 18% oxygen and 82% nitrogen is most definitely a nitrox; it is not, however, EAN.

Again, duh.

Actually, I'm not. Common usage is not always precisely the same as a laboratory definition. And, as I said, it DEPENDS on how you define "Nitrox".

Duh.

No.

A nitrox of 18% O2 will have a deeper MOD than air.

Duh.
Tell me again who dives 18% oxygen and 82% nitrogen?

Please quote from any of the major training agencies who state that air (21%) or other mixes made up of only oxygen less than 21% and nitrogen are NOT nitroxes.

Pretty sure I remember my PADI, GUE, and NAUI classes all referring to air as a nitrox...

Actually, I'm not. Common usage is not always precisely the same as a laboratory definition. And, as I said, it DEPENDS on how you define "Nitrox".

Duh.

Sounds nice for NDLs..

I recently went diving with a group of AOW divers and the topic: " Is Nitrox diving with oxygen contents above 21% a deep diving gas in the 99 fsw (30msw) and deeper range", came up on the way out. The opinions in the conversation were educational to say the least - So what do you think is Nitrox a deep diving gas?
Perhaps you should expand on the conversation so the incorrect opinions could be dispelled and this thread could be a lot shorter than it is. (and I see absolutely no reason for a poll on this subject)

Perhaps you could also be more specific with depth ranges that don't reach a limit toward infinity. A solid depth range would focus the thread to that range and also take much of the generality out of the thread

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom