Do you think Nitrox is a deep diving gas?

Is nitrox with O2 greater than air a deep diving gas?

• Yes

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 244 79.0%
  • Are you Nitrox certified?

Votes: 150 48.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I'm not. Common usage is not always precisely the same as a laboratory definition. And, as I said, it DEPENDS on how you define "Nitrox".

Duh.
Nitrox is also referred to as "Enriched Air" or air that has been enriched with Oxygen so that it has more than 21% of Oxygen – usually 22% to 40% - blends that are usually used in Recreational No Decompression diving

Since the OP did not mention "Trimix" or any other third, fourth or fifth gas mixture, any normal person would associate his question to concern mixing Oxygen in blends greater than 21%

The "laboratory definition"
Nitrox refers to any Nitrogen-Oxygen gas-mix, including blends that have less oxygen than air

would be pertinent for the purpose of Technical Diving where you learn to use Nitrox gas mixes from below 21% when doing Advanced Trimix training

The only reason a "laboratory definition" would be used in this thread is that a "gad-fly" is attempting to create issues where the majority of participants on this thread understood the OPs original intentions concerning Nitrox

I went with "are you nitrox certified" as this question would have been covered in a nitrox class.

Last edited:
Nitrox certified? Hah! I had to make the two Nitrox dives when I got my card and my Instructor told me not to descend below 70 ft in Santa Rosa's Blue Hole since that was the altitude adjusted MOD for the mix. :silly: I tried to explain that altitude would not affect the MOD, but he wouldn't listen to this student - so I made my two 65 ft dives and got my card. Found a better Inst.
That was spring of '01. It was on one of the Ocean Divers boats; The inland based group diving 32% was led by their instructor (TDI I think). The Captain was aware of all the gas mixes on board, as the gas was all from OD.

Since the MOD for 32% @ 1.6 is 132', 137' is not much over 1.6 :)
Nice pic. So in 2001, TDI was teach 1.6/1.8 Contingent? Do they still?

I think it was 2004 when I was totally flamed here on sB for admitting that I hit 1.8. It was an opps, didn't mean to sink that deep (I enjoy narcosis too much, have to keep reminding myself that I am drunk so be more careful), so it was a mistake, but it was the 1.8 I was flamed for.
No.

A nitrox of 18% O2 will have a deeper MOD than air.

Duh.
Was that relative. I wouldn't call that Nitrox no matter how you word the definitions.
Tell me again who dives 18% oxygen and 82% nitrogen?
:lol:​

I think this thread proves one thing, the major training agencies and or instructors are doing a crappy job teaching people how to use nitrox as a tool. End of store. There is a ton of opinions, but very few facts. I was going to avoid this thread, but here is some quick numbers because no one else has posted them.

For a dive to 130 feet on air, NDL 11 minutes
For a dive to 130 feet on 28% NDL 15 minutes
That is a 36% gain in bottom time.

For a dive to 100 feet on air, NDL 19 minutes
For a dive to 100 feet on 32% NDL 30 minutes
That is a 58% gain in bottom time.

Now, in addition to the gain in bottom time, you also off gas faster on your safety stop. So yes, nitrox is a good tool on deeper dives. For the people that run out of gas before NDL with air, the sell larger cylinders than AL80's. For people that think its to pricey, its diving, its pricey, you just spent $100 to get on a boat.

No, I just spent $100 for a nitrox course - But not because I consider it a "deep diving gas". Because I consider it a means to extend the NDL rather than start deco diving. If my intent was to go deep, id take up decompression diving and trimix instead..

Nice pic. So in 2001, TDI was teach 1.6/1.8 Contingent? Do they still?

Thanks. There was a question mark in that TDI guess, I am only pretty sure they were 1.6/1.8 at that time. I do know I was trained 1.6/1.8 a week later when Mr. Rutkowski administered my IANTD instructor crossover.

Last edited:
I think this thread proves one thing, the major training agencies and or instructors are doing a crappy job teaching people how to use nitrox as a tool. End of store. There is a ton of opinions, but very few facts. I was going to avoid this thread, but here is some quick numbers because no one else has posted them.

For a dive to 130 feet on air, NDL 11 minutes
For a dive to 130 feet on 28% NDL 15 minutes
That is a 36% gain in bottom time.

For a dive to 100 feet on air, NDL 19 minutes
For a dive to 100 feet on 32% NDL 30 minutes
That is a 58% gain in bottom time.

Now, in addition to the gain in bottom time, you also off gas faster on your safety stop. So yes, nitrox is a good tool on deeper dives. For the people that run out of gas before NDL with air, the sell larger cylinders than AL80's. For people that think its to pricey, its diving, its pricey, you just spent $100 to get on a boat.
The question is, "Is NITROX a deep gas?" I say no ... but then, for me, deep starts at 190.

The poll is actually designed bad. It does not define the scope of "deep". Without that it's meaningless.
Yeah, that's why I took all three. No, I don't use Nitrox to go deeper, but yep - do use it to stay "at depth" longer. It did open up a big Ntirox discussion, but don't we have a new one every week anyway, with the same replies...?

yeah, that's why i took all three. No, i don't use nitrox to go deeper, but yep - do use it to stay "at depth" longer. It did open up a big ntirox discussion, but don't we have a new one every week anyway, with the same replies...?

yes....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom