Info Do you think aqualung will implement customizable GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What's your take as they introduced the zhl 16c in their DC do you think they will introduce the customizable GF?

What's your take as they introduced the zhl 16c in their DC do you think they will introduce the customizable GF?
No. They are pretty focused on the purely recreational market.

Hi @Mario007

It was a real breakthrough when Aqua Lung started offering Buhlmann on the i330R. All the rest of their computers run PZ+. Unfortunately, the i330R only has 3 presets (90/90, 35/85. and 35/70). I wrote Aqua Lung soon after they released the computer to ask if they would offer custom GF on the i330R or another computer. I never heard back from Aqua Lung after several follow up messages, I'm not impressed by their customer service. At $399, the i330R with custom GF would be competitive.

Seac also offers computers running Buhlmann, also, just with presets (GF high 85, 80, 75, 70, 65, and 60). With custom GFs, the Screen at $299 and the Action HR at $315 would be quite competitive.

It has been very interesting seeing established brands adding Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors to some computers in their lineup, Scubapro, Suunto. The Scubapro Luna 2, available in 2023, is particularly interesting. It will probably run custom GFs, the owner's manual is not yet available. The non-AI looks to be going for $510, same as the Peregrine. The AI version looks to be going for $579, just under $900 with a Scubapro transmitter. Only real problem is the proprietary transmitter, not compatible with Shearwater and other PPS transmitter compatible computers.

I will still predict a Peregrine AI, either that, or Shearwater will lose out in the current Peregrine +/- AI market.

Time will tell, I'm encouraged to see the evolution.

Custom GF changes it from a recreational to a technical dive computer? The i330R offers 3 nitrox mixes, as many computers do, is that recreational?

From unofficial but connected sources, there is concern about mishandling of the custom GF leading to erroneous customization of the GF with beginner recreational divers leading to injuries with liability consequences to the mfg. I am lead to believe that the mfg's. are evaluating their options and their liability. THIS UNofficial information.

From unofficial but connected sources, there is concern about mishandling of the custom GF leading to erroneous customization of the GF with beginner recreational divers leading to injuries with liability consequences to the mfg. I am lead to believe that the mfg's. are evaluating their options and their liability. THIS an UNofficial information.
sorry but does not make really sense, if someone is loaded with money, can go and buy let say an ix3m 2 or perdix 2 with only an OW certification. there is nothing that will stop him

sorry but does not make really sense, if someone is loaded with money, can go and buy let say an ix3m 2 or perdix 2 with only an OW certification. there is nothing that will stop him

I am NOT defending it but the person you reference goes and they buy a dive computer "made for technical diving" whereas buying a dive computer made for recreational diving MAYBE something else.

Again, I am not defending it or accepting it myself.

From unofficial but connected sources, there is concern about mishandling of the custom GF leading to erroneous customization of the GF with beginner recreational divers leading to injuries with liability consequences to the mfg. I am lead to believe that the mfg's. are evaluating their options and their liability. THIS an UNofficial information.
Clearly, that probably also explains Aqua Lung's GF high of 90 and Seac's GF high of 85

I will still predict a Peregrine AI, either that, or Shearwater will lose out in the current Peregrine +/- AI market.

The day a Peregrine AI is offered is the day I cry with joy. As a newb rec diver it was what I was wishing for when I went shopping for a computer. I spent months agonizing over getting the Peregrine without AI or spending the extra $500 for features I didn’t want or need. In the end the AI feature was crucial enough for me to go up market…which is probably what they hope/expect.

To me it would be the obvious “I want AI but I’m not sure if I’ll do anything more than rec in the next 5 years” choice. Nothing else in the market would compete.

Custom GF changes it from a recreational to a technical dive computer? The i330R offers 3 nitrox mixes, as many computers do, is that recreational?
No.
Depends on the context.

Back
Top Bottom