Do you solo to avoid legal issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Do any of you solo divers solo because you are concerned about possible liability or criminal issues in relation to a mishap with a dive buddy? I'd like to read of any concerns for the stated reasons you may have. Thanks all.

Do any of you solo divers solo because you are concerned about possible liability or criminal issues in relation to a mishap with a dive buddy? I'd like to read of any concerns for the stated reasons you may have. Thanks all.

That is an entirely needless worry for a non professional diver to harbor IMO. Not to redirect your question but I would be more interested in hearing about any example of a lawsuit initiated due to the failure of a dive buddy to provide proper assistance to another diver in need.

The Gabe Watson/David Swan cases involved either a plea of guilty or a guilty verdict as decided by a court of law.

No. I solo dive because I find diving with instabuddies to be very stressful.

I admit to not having traveled much with regard to diving. In Florida, most all operators do not pair-up divers but suggest unattended inexperience divers stay with the DM. Is the case different overseas and/or other areas? I do not envision liking an insta-buddy arrangment. I would sooner pay extra for a personal guide/DM to avoid diving with someone who's skills are non verified.

Last edited:

No ... that issue never occurred to me. The standard of duty assumed by a buddy relationship is "what would a reasonable person do". As long as you dive within the limits of your training and experience, and pay reasonable attention to each other, I don't see legal liability being a concern ... not even in our ridiculously litigious American culture.

I solo because (a) I like being alone underwater sometimes, (b) it's convenient, and (c) I can commit my full attention to my photography.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I kinda agree with valhalla. In another post, i mentioned that Im loosing the only person i trust as a diving partner (im moving to florida). So i would much rather rely on my self. You never know what a scuba diver is really capable of until a life threatening emergency.
Besides...Not having to worry about someone else has got to be really nice for a change.
:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom