Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oops... double post

I'm not naive enough to think that smoking doesn't put me at greater risk when diving, but as far as stricly SAC is concerned, I have to agree. Mine is under .5 and I can generally hang with far more experienced buddies; all things being equal, [except for those freaks of nature]. A local LDS has a joke, "If you want to decrease your SAC start smoking!"

dherbman:
Isn't nicotine a depressant? That would slow things down a bit.
Nicotine is a stimulant; as I posted before. This is why your metabolism slows way down when you quit, your body is not getting the stimulants it's used to. This is why so many people gain alot of weight when they quit.
http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/nicotine-withdrawal.php#increased-appetite-hunger

Double post. Sorry

Nicotine is a stimulant.

Plenty of people have noticed an increase in SAC rate, myself included.

My thoughts (and they are nothing more) tend more towards a body's getting accustomed to a constantly higher level of CO2 (a buildup of which is actually responsible for the urge to breathe) leading to an overall downturn in the rate of respiration.

I'd love to hear a better/the real explanation.

neophyte:
Nicotine is a stimulant.

Plenty of people have noticed an increase in SAC rate, myself included.

My thoughts (and they are nothing more) tend more towards a body's getting accustomed to a constantly higher level of CO2 (a buildup of which is actually responsible for the urge to breathe) leading to an overall downturn in the rate of respiration.

I'd love to hear a better/the real explanation.
That makes more sense than anything else I've heard.

neophyte:
I think you probably hit it on the head, that along with a smaller lung capacity and shallower respirations, all combined you have a weiner [or loser].

Smoking probably does make diving more dangerous though.

The carbon monoxide in the smoke binds with the hemoglobin the body is otherwise using to transport oxygen. If I recall correctly this leads to around 20% less oxygen being available to the body at any given time.

My understanding of decompression theory is still pretty shaky (although I'm reading away and it's getting there!), but this should narrow the theoretical "oxygen window" responsible for so much of nitrogen offgassing.

I guess I'll second the call for Lynne to come explain away this malarky, please.

The carbon monoxide in the smoke binds with the hemoglobin the body is otherwise using to transport oxygen. If I recall correctly this leads to around 20% less oxygen being available to the body at any given time.
Did you know that smokers have richer blood...? :wink:

DandyDon:
Did you know that smokers have richer blood...? :wink:
Yup. When I was put on flying status in the Air Force we had to go through altitude chamber training. Us smokers lasted longer at altitude without O2 than the non-smokers did.

Back
Top Bottom