Do you remember your first time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, I do remember it even though it was 1961 or 1962. But that was before all the drugs, sex and rock 'n' roll so I should be able to remember it. The only thing I had been told was not to hold my breath. Ascent rates? No one I knew had a clue.

I also remember the first time for that "other" favorite past time!

I remember my first pair of solos. I was out on my AOW checkouts, and we did a pair of boat dives Saturday morning. I'd done a dive at the jetties previously, so I figured I'd drop in again and get a dive or two in. I'd picked up a 19cf pony prior to the trip. (Logged dive #10 was my first with a pony.)

The first dive, I stayed on the inside of the jetty, and I enjoyed myself quite well. I went at my own pace, and I ended up with an average depth of 6 feet, IIRC. After that dive, I decided I wanted to do the other side, even though the current was heading out. I'd just ride the current to the end and come back in on the sheltered side.

Well, of course, the current got kicking and became flag-ripping-ly strong. Yes, it actually pulled my flag under and ripped it from the float (note to self: tie a retaining line to the grommet next time). With a stick instead of a flag, I didn't think it wise to swim out away from the jetty to get to the slower-moving water to continue around the jetty, and the shallower water closer to the jetty was not navigable, as a longshore current was spilling around the end of the jetty at the surface, keeping me from making it to the end.

It was at that point that I sighed and called the dive, deciding that my alternate exit was the right choice. I alighted on the large boulders of the jetty and doffed my fins. Carefully, I scrambled and climbed up and over refrigerator- to SUV-sized boulders as I made my way over the jetty and down the other side (all the while with 90 pounds of gear on me -- quite a bit at that point, not so much today). After making it to the water, I made my way to the beach and trekked about 1/3 mile back to the car. All in all, a decent dive.

The only part that had me a little on edge was when I was first approaching the spot where you swim over a dip in the jetty to get to the channel side. I met a divemaster and another guy from my LDS who had also decided to take a quick shore dive. Being rather new at this, I had a little concern in the back of my mind as to what would be said if it were known that I was solo diving on an AOW checkout trip. ("Act naturally... nothing to see here..." hehe.) Needless to say, they didn't care, as long as I was diving safely, although I *did* log those two dives on facing pages in my logbook. When I had the instructor sign off on the AOW dives, I just let those two pages stick together, and he wasn't paying attention to the dive numbering. :D

(These days I wouldn't care, of course, but I was young and impressionable.)

I also remember the first time for that "other" favorite past time!
Videography?

You see my Avitar to the left ? I snapped that pic of myself right before I did my first Solo Dive. Windy, cloudy, Something like a 46 degree air temp 45 degree water temp. New wet suit. Nobody else showed up........ Wussys !! I just had to go dive.

After that, I was hooked :wink:

My first time it was cold.... dark.... I was all alone.....

Reminded me of the first time I had sex.

My lst solo was on a drift dive from a local boat charter. My insta buddy kept saying "Let's meet on the bottom". Well that doesn't work in a drift dive along a wall...
We got separated from the "get go" and I had my pony bottle (30cf) slung, so I evaluated for a minute how comfortable I felt continuing solo and decided that I felt fine.
I had a magical dive, boarded the boat and explained why I was solo to the shop DM and he said that he wasn't worried about me as I had a pony and he'd observed me gearing up and being competent.

Anyway, at the present I'm only diving shore dives solo at non current intensive areas but that boat dive "turned me on" to how cool solo can be. I liked KNOWING I was solo and not just THINKING I had a buddy I'd just met.

On the 2nd boat dive, the same words were spoken and it was discussed and agreed upon that "meeting on the bottom" won't work.
I lost a fin on giant stride entry for a moment, I was solo again.
My "buddy" was "meeting" me on the bottom...

We ended up agreeing to dive together again, months later and sticking to the plan and it went fine. Had a good time.

Absolutely, but that's not saying much since I've gone solo a grand total of twice.

My first solo dive was a lobster dive, I couldn't find a buddy for opening night and I thought 'well, what's worse, having no buddy or having one that you spend half your dive looking for?' In low visibility all lobster dives seem to end up solo dives. Last summer was the first non-lobster solo dive I did; heard the viz at La Jolla cove was over 20' & thought 'why not?' It was actually a lot safer than my normal lobster dive, it just seemed wrong somehow to do it just for fun.

I don't know if it counts but doing one of my AOW dives I finished doing my Peak Performance Bouyancy and then my instructor said I could practice it some more or dive around while he went down with an open water class. That was last March at Lake Pleasant, AZ.

Second time, truly solo, was in Okinawa at Mida Pt. All I have to say is the waters there are beautiful and I want to go back, and also explore other spots with less traffic that I only snorkeled, whenever I think about it.

Two years into diving, off the dock at Buddy Dive in Bonaire, never looked back.

Just how big and deep is Beaver Lake, anyway?

I was 14, my momma told me when she saw me getting my gear together if I was going with my older neighbor Rex. Well, Rex was supposed to meet me on the dock. Thing about being barely 14 and your buddy being nearly 17--he knew about girls and I could have cared less about girls--at the time--lol. I got tired of waiting and rolled on in. I had a nice dive and I have never looked back. My moma asked me if Rex and I had a good dive--I said "yes I did mom." And that is my story and I am sticking to it.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom