Do you prefer to be taught by a female or male instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I’m concerned whether a male instructor will be less lenient toward a student than a female instructor, if I were to constantly make mistakes while trying to perfect skills. I’ve also read that the instructor is more important than the agency. Can I insist that I be trained by a female Scuba instructor instead of a male instructor? I would like to hear of personal mishaps or success stories when dealing with dive centres, and instructors of both sexes. I really don’t wish to go through my Open Water Course if I fail, just because someone was having a bad day and they went about projecting their anger toward me. Yes, I’m aware I can report that instructor to their relevant agency.

I’m concerned whether a male instructor will be less lenient toward a student than a female instructor, if I were to constantly make mistakes while trying to perfect skills
Can you elaborate on this point?

All instructors irrespective of gender have to follow the standards of the agency to which they are affiliated.

You can of course ask a specific instructor to teach you, it is then up to that instructor to accept you as a student.

A persons attitude regarding the opposite sex governs whether I will have or continue a conversation with them

Depending on what she looks like, I'd prefer a female instructor. There's not always a whole lot to look at down there, ya know?

Any decent instructor will do for open water training. It’s a 3-4 days long course teaching you the basics that a 10 year old can learn. Unless you can’t swim, it’s incredibly difficult to actually “fail” open water.

Just don’t be creepy about instructor gender, whatever is your preference for whatever reason?

Most female instructors are pretty hardcore, if you are expecting them to be more lenient, you picked the wrong sport. The only real reason to demand a female instructor would be if you are a female yourself, live in a strange country and want to avoid the creeps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom