Do you prefer to be taught by a female or male instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virtually NO ONE fails the OW course, and the instructor’s gender is irrelevant.

It's like saying no one fails their driver's license test because they can keep taking it over and over until they eventually pass, assuming they don't give up along the way.

Yes, scuba diving wannabees sometimes "neglect to meet the standards for passing the OW certification" and although they have the opportunity to try again after more skills training it does not change the fact that this amounts to a big fat FAIL.

Some years ago, I was on a group trip sponsored by a local dive shop, we spent a week in Cozumel. There was a kid there, poor thing couldn't get past the mask clearing drill, and this wasn't his first rodeo, from what I recall this was like his third trip and attempt at certification. He didn't manage it that time around either.

To me that's a FAIL. 3 of them in fact. You are free to call it "not yet passing" but it's rather misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom