Do you own your own tank just for home use? Cleaning and testing your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of 30cf tanks I don't use anymore since i switched to 40cf slung pony bottles. I use these for testing regs, blowing air, etc. I top them off with a home booster as needed.

Have roughly 30 tanks at home,

I only buy tanks if it's a good deal, and usually has to be steel.
I don't pay more then 100$ for aluminum 80cuft

Get a use tank, its cheaper.

Assuming I can afford the $300 initial purchase and some sort of occasional outlay for occasional testing, does it make sense? Or am I over thinking this?
To keep your equipment in working order, it makes complete sense.

A number of friends who are condo or apartment owners have frequently purchased 19-23 cubic foot pony bottles for ease of portability, whether or not they typically dive with them, to soak and test their pressurized gear -- and, some, even to service their own regulators.

DGX has some aluminum 19s for 220.00 with a nitrox-ready valve; a current VIP and free-shipping to the lower forty-eight. Anything significantly smaller is fairly useless as a practical pony, if you have any current or later interest in that use; so too the scarce volume of gas should you need to repair your own gear . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 12.33.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 12.33.20 PM.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 57
Or this with free shipping

And for a little bit more

If you own your own (only) Al 19 (say), not only will you be able to soak your regulator under pressure, but you will be able to travel with it should you decide one day that you want to dive with a pony bottle--which also provides the option of soaking your regulator under pressure in your hotel room!

Here in central MO, an hydro + visual + fill, required every five years, costs ~$50.

rx7diver

If you want to test your reg or anything else before a trip I guess a small pony bottle makes most sense. For rinsing my reg I tighten the dust cap and spray away with the hose (or shower, etc.). I know those will say it's best to rinse with the reg attached to the tank, but I have never had a problem in 18 years with this reg that I bought back then used. Then again as others say, it doesn't seem to own a tank if you don't dive locally. If your reg craps out at your destination you can rent one there-- less costly than maintaining a tank.

The major benefit of owning your own tank(s) is being able to go local diving any time you want. No harm in buying your own tank but I honestly don't see much benefit of owning your own tank if likely to only be flying to a place you're likely to rent tanks. Assuming you're keeping your gear properly serviced there's simply no reason to add a need for tank vis and 5 year hydros if not diving locally since should already be rinsing your gear at the conclusion of your diving, as opposed to after the flight home...
(If owning a tank gets you diving locally that would be great though... :) )

I was curious if any of you own your own tank that you just keep at home solely for cleaning your gear when you get back from vacation and for testing before you go on vacation. In addition, having a tank would allow for more practice setting up your gear when you haven't been diving in a while.

Yes. I've got a tank at home for just those reasons -- rinsing my Atomic regulators while pressurized, checking that everything works before a trip, checking intermediate pressure (IP) creep as a sign that the regulator may need service, and to check that my O2 & CO meters are working.

I do not dive locally and do not use this tank for diving.

I doubt I would every use the tank to actually dive with and think it would be around a $300 investment.
I purchased my tank used, out-of-hydro, with almost 3000PSI of air inside...for about $75.

In ~4 years (5?) of rinsing, checking gear, etc., I'm down to ~1250PSI.

When the tank is empty, I will likely look for another used tank with air (thank you, Craigslist), rather than paying for a hydro/VIP & fill.

You could easily find a used AL80 on craigslist for about $100. Make them post photos of the DOT numbers and hydro dates. The DOT numbers should start with "3AL" for aluminum or "3AA" for a steel tank. I'd stay away from anything that starts with "E" or "SP" or anything that was re-stamped "3AL" . I won't go into a lengthy discussion...DM me if you want me to bore you with the details

Back
Top Bottom