Do you need different equipment if you want to go cold-water scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have many ice dives under my belt and all were done in a 7mil wetsuit in Lake Erie. I have always used a Sherwood Blizzard and with the proper care have never had an issue, the key is the proper care and pre dive practices. There are other regs that will do the job but that is what I am familiar with and many divers in my area also use the same. I,m sure you might be more comfortable in a dry suit but I am just to stuborn to go that way.

As others have said depending on how cold the water is and how you are with the temps. Definetly a thicker wetsuit then you would use when warm water diving or Possible drysuit. Hood/Gloves I would absolutly have. If your out shopping I would get a regulator that is desighned to work in Cold water as with that reg you can dive anywhere. (Scubapro MK17/G250V Atomic M1) Are 2 awesome regs that will work and work great in all waters. If your diving in Ice I would take the Scubapro Mk17/G250V, another Reg that is supposed to work great and is an awesome value is the Hog brand Regs

So we did two dives last Saturday......

Water temp was 41 degrees and air temp was 26 degrees......

We had one try it wet.......that person lasted 20 minutes on the first dive and did not make the second.....but did do the first half of the first dive......

I think that once you get below mid 40's then you are in a different type of diving.....

Our issue was the surface interval where all the everything starting to freeze.....

Hope this helps.....M

I think Jorgy has it nailed. Exact temps depend on the diver, the SI temp and how desperate you are to dive. For me..

52+ No issues (I have a good thick 8/7 suit)

48-52 Getting cool, need a core warmer (extra layer of neoprene) for multiple dives and need hot water shots on the SI to keep warm.

42-47 Cold, typically single dive as core body temp drops (beginning of hypothermia) unless I have a warm, sheltered SI location. Need redundant air due to possible 1st stage freezing.

38-42 Short dives only (30 min max), sucks but I do it to get wet in the winter.

37- Not an option for me wet, no fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom