Do you know what a haggis is?

Do you know what a haggis is?

• A small bird that lives in the highlands of Scotland that has lost the use of its wings

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • A traditional Scottish dish made from sheep's stomach lining filled with oats, sheep's liver, onions

Votes: 85 93.4%
  • A small animal not dissimilar to a duck-billed platypus that lives in the highlands of Scotland whic

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_dumper once bubbled...

Got to admit I love the stuff, I had not eaten it until I met my Scottish wife 8 years ago and it does sound really grim, but it tastes good with "tatties and neeps" turnips and mashed potato, and daddies brown sauce of course.
There is also a vegetarian option.

I have to admit it took me about 2 years to get my french wife to even think about eating it :(

Now she has tried it she eats it whenever she sees it on a menu:) (it does have to be better than some of the really bizarre stuff these frogs eat!!)

Jon T

on persuading a French person to eat haggis.

As you say, the Frenchies have some pretty weird dishes, and while some feel it is a delicacy I for one am not a great fan of some of their bloody, bloated foie gras nor autolan or whatever they are called (those little sparrows pickled in armagnac!). And as for escargot, yeuch!

I have not had haggis for a while, and am not averse to it, but there are other dishes I prefer...

We made a deal....... she would try haggis if I would try Frogs legs and snails...........

I have to say that I probably get the better part of the deal - traditionally frogs legs taste of the butter and garlic they are cooked in, and so do snails :) Haggis has its own "unique" flavour

Jon T

Talking of weird dishes, how about London's favourite:

Jellied Eels.

Mmmmm cold chopped up Eels in cold fish jelly, and you thought haggis was bad...

we have much to be ashamed of nosh-wise. The thought of jellied eels would tempt even me to try snails again.

Another (not) favourite of mine are winkles. In fact, apart from scallops & mussels I am not too keen on mollusc-eating (though I am partial to the odd squid or octopus when the occasion is right.)

Still, they may eat snails, but them French types sure know how to make cheese.

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
Still, they may eat snails, but them French types sure know how to make cheese.
And don't forget their Wine (have you ever tasted British wine?).

I have tried British wine. Some of it is superb, albeit expensive. Some of it is bad, albeit expensive. However, it's all considerably better than leibfraumilch, surely something that the EEC should ban.

When I was a kid my Dad was a wine buyer for a company called IDV, so I was dragged around most of Europe with him in my school holidays when he was abroad working.
My wife on the other hand had until recently never been to a vineyard, we where passing one just outside Cambridge and she persuaded me to stop.
It was basically a man with a bucket of grapes and no shoes or socks on, put me off British wine a bit.
As for the ban, I would extend it to cover all German wines and anything alcoholic with made in Greece on the label.

called Three Choirs or summat. Superb whites. There is a good on in Tenterden in Kent near where we used to live that does very good reds.

You're wong on some of the german wines. Gop to germany and you will notice that they keep all the good ones for themselves and export the bad ones, which seems somewhat like shooting yourself in the foot. As for Greek booze, you can also ban Greek food as well... (except perhaps feta cheese).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom