Do you have the right wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wore a 3mm on my liveaboard trip to Saba last spring and was getting cool toward the end of the week. I'll be using a 5/4 for my next trip(with pockets, no less...). I expect to be keeping warmer practicing my back kick too!

Boat coats are great, the only real alternative is to get a wetsuit that dries in a flash, that means that your best choice is a skin out suit and second best is one with lycra out rather than nylon (make sure it's 4-way-stretch lycra). I'm currently using a windproof jumpsuit for after dive coverup, it's a bit of a PITA.

Good luck finding either in anything except a high end custom. If anyone has any leads, please post. I need a new tropical suit and I too like to dive wet in warmer water.

I was not being sarcastic in my boat coat comment. I dive using a wetsuit that keeps me warm, 3mm in tropical water or 7mm in SoCal. After the dive I always remove the upper half of the wetsuit, boots and slip on my trusty Chammyz coat. It dries me without a towel and keeps me warm even if it is wet from multiple dives. I’m not a fan of using more wetsuit than I need to keep me warm at depth.

I’m not a fan of using more wetsuit than I need to keep me warm at depth.
When I'm diving wet, I'm actually a big fan of using more wetsuit than I need to keep me warm. As long as I'm not all the way to overheating, the more heat I conserve, the less energy I expend.

Of course, admittedly, if the water's even cool, I go dry. My thickest wetsuit is a 5/4, but it's also my only wetsuit. I've been good in it up to the upper 80s. (Above that, well, I guess I can either run a water cooling line down my neck or actually get a 3/2. :biggrin:)

Some people have an aversion to wearing more thermal protection than they *need*, and I do not begrudge them of that choice. Personally, I enjoy myself much more when I occasionally have to cool off a little than when I'm a cold diver. (Strangely, however, if I'm out hiking, shooting photography, or just strolling around, I *love* to be cold. Short sleeves in the snow is *wonderful*, although short sleeves and gloves tends to make people look at you oddly.)

I think I would stroke out if I didn't dive wet in tropics :D I need to feel cold at least momentarily. But I agree with TSandM, I think my 3mm isn't cutting it - not when doing 4-5x 60min dives a day at least. However warm the water, it just isn't enough to keep the core warm anymore, under or above.

So anyone interested in good deal with men's Bare 3mm with one bellows pocket glued on, let me know. I need to move onto 5mm for good too.

What size?

I´ve started taking my DS on tropical trips as well...works great!

I just take my wetsuit off, or at least the top half, quick rub with the towel and then on with a dry T-shirt. Getting the water away from your skin like this prevents heat loss better than a thicker more cumbersome wetsuit.

I plan to dive in shorts and a lycra top (to prevent subburn) next week in Palau :)

The other thing I always wonder at is the ill fitting wetsuits I see out there.

I have even seen some sad examples in brochures and manufacturers websites, let alone magazine articles.

I don't know if it's a marketing disconnect or they are intentionally trying to play down the fundamental need for the thing tho be skin tight which many potential wearers a squeamish about.

Pete

I was reluctant to make the move to a heavier suit, thinking it would be just that much harder to get in and out of, but in fact, the suit I got has a fabric lining and is actually fairly easy to manage. I actually wish I had done this a long time ago.

I like diving wet when the water is warm. It's easier to get in and out of the gear, and buoyancy is so beautifully simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom