do you have tank boots?

do you use tank boots?

• yes

Votes: 148 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 37 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use boots, and tank nets, primarily because we recently bought our first tanks and would like them to stay new looking as long as possible. Are they really necessary on AL80s? No, but then neither is some of the other gear I lug around in my bag, it's just another of those accessories that seemed important at one time or another.

Jorbar1551:
Do you use tank boots?

I don't have them on my Al 80's, (3), my dbl 80's, my dbl 85's, my dbl 104's or the (2) steel 45's. I simply don't see the point. The 80's stack better without them. That said, back when I had a 120 with an H valve, I did use the boot.

I have heard only one compelling arguement for the boots and that's on round bottom singles. Boats and gel coat - my opinion is use a mat. Its better protection than hard plastic.

Now, for all those who love boots, I can make you a good deal on some 7.x" and 8" tank boots.I have 4 and all the cool kids have them.......

Boots in general are useless in the water. I took mine off my steel tanks. If I'm taking them to be inspected or something I put them back on, because I have no idea how the inspector is going to handle them.

If you run a shop and have a lot of tanks, they do protect the paint job and generally help keep them from rolling around.

Boots are about USELESS for keeping tanks in one place in an automobile, I have a home-made tank-rack made with bungie cord and a pool noodle that works great. See the DIY forum for pictures.

Any tank that comes aboard my boat will have a boot on it. I think some who are confused into thinking that means that the tanks are left standing up unsecured--no. The boot is there so that when you sit on the gunwale or take the rig off and set it down the aluminum/steel bottom of the tank don't crush my fiberglass. N

No boots on any of my tanks, even the steels. I just lean those against the wall. Don't see the point. They just get in the way, make it a little more difficult to store tanks, and let water accumulate between the rubber and the tank. I've got over a dozen boots sitting in my garage. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they can be used for besides tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom