do you have tank boots?

do you use tank boots?

• yes

Votes: 148 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 37 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you use tank boots?

Most people use boots, except on doubles that I have noticed. If you dont have them on steels than your tank is gonna fall over, and as far as aluminums, most captains hate to see people get on their boat without boots

I have boots on my round bottomed tanks for convenience when filling/storing. When I had flat-bottomed aluminium tanks, I had no boots because I didn't want to add even an infinitismal ammount of drag, but upon reflection I decided better to have a little bit of drag then to damage the gel-coat on the boats of friends (and captains) nice enough to take me out to dive.

Yes, I do. They do not mark up the fiberglass on my boat as much as the aluminum does.

TOM

Yes, it makes the tank and BCD/tank assembly more stable.

Mike

Yes on my steels no on my ALs. On my steels I remove them and wash them. I put them back on when everything is dried out.

I do on my steel 120's...it's almost necessary with rounded bottoms. Most cave people don't, to prevent rust and i've seen plenty of doubles with boots. sometimes trimmed down because there banded close togeater. It's just really annoying to have to deal with Al80's with no boots.

I removed all mine when I was trying to be more DIR. Once I realized that it wasn't worth the hassle of tanks constantly falling as I geared up I put them back on. My boat owning friends also appreciate it. According to George Irvine, the reason for the no-boot rule was because too many cave divers in Florida were leaving their tanks standing on the picnic tables. He made them remove them to lower the risk of the tanks falling.

Back
Top Bottom