Do you feel safer owning your own equipment?

do yo feel safer diving in equipment you own?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not used rental gear since I was certified. I know what condition the gear is in and I know where it has been and how it has been treated. I would not feel comfortable using rental gear no matter where it came from.

Much more comfortable in my own stuff, but yes definitely safer. I'm sure rental gear is regularly maintained and inspected, but at least with my gear I know what type of wear/ tear has gone on and what's been done to correct that. The more beat-up something looks as well the less I want to believe it's safe and working.

i feel a lot safer in my own gear
...the last time i stole stuff, i kept looking over my shoulder all the time
kinda takes the fun outta the dive...
have fun
yaeg

I voted yes, but I don't think "safer" is an accurate description. I feel more comfortable in my own gear but I'm perfectly safe using someone else's gear or rental gear.

Yes. Plain and simple I know how it works, how and when its been cleaned (after every weekend since I usually dive then), when it was serviced, the service history of issues, how the system is tuned, and most of all i know of any possible issues with weight pockets ect.

The few times i used rentals was during my OW and also during a resuce course when I had class that day right before the course so I couldn't get home and to the pool in time with my gear..honestly I can say this I hate aqualung's current weight pocket system the damn things scare the hell out of me...I'm never sure if the damn things will just fall out on their own or stay in (I have seen the weights fall out a few times).

I trust my own gear because I clean it well after every dive. The gear is checked up regularly. I know the abuse that my gear takes. And I am accustomed with the gear, though it's not difficult to adapt to other gear.

When going on a trip where I can't bring all my gear, I'll at the very least bring my regs.

I feel much safer with my own equipment because I know the guy who serviced it, me!

Familiarity and trust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom