Question Do you ever practice dropping weights and handling the unexpected ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LightBrownPillow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was on a dive recently with a rental BCD which had all my weight in the two drop pockets. Not how I usually dive but it's what they had for me. We descended somewhat quickly to the bottom at 30 feet due to wanting to get under the moderate current.

Right when I stopped by descent at the bottom, I felt both pockets slip right out! I spotted them on the bottom under me and realized I was headed right back up to the surface. I dumped by BCD's air and kicked downward to slow my ascent, and was able to make a fairly safe return to the surface. Thankfully I was only under for about 2 minutes total and did not suffer any decompression symptoms.

This got me thinking though: While I've been taught theoretically about how to drop weights and ascend, I realized I have never actually practiced it and was not very well prepared for the situation. So I'm curious fellow divers:, do you ever take time to go to a pool or maybe 20ft deep open water area and just practice dropping your weights and handling the quick decisions required to keep the situation safe?

Are you sure you are diving with the correct amount of weights? If from 30 feet you had to dump air to slow your ascent, you may have had too much weights to begin with.

How many pounds you had? What type of suit?

No because the only time you ditch weight - whether it’s a weight belt or just equipment - is on the surface? Unless you are overweighted…

I would argue that any weight that is easy to ditch endangered more lives than it ever saved.

An event like this can be scary (and dangerous).

Many folks will read your post and say things like, "clearly no predive safety check." It is easy to be dismissive and assume diver error. Some weight pockets "feel" like they are locked, others make an audible click. You can be fooled sometimes -- even when you check.

Recommend you take a look at your equipment manufacturer's website and see if there is a recall on your weight pockets. (I had a recall on my gear a couple of years back as the clips were known to fail on a specific batch.)

Also recommend you look at your BCD manual and verify that your weight pockets are rated for the amount of weight you are using. (Depending on your body type, exposure suit, etc ... you can actually put more weight in the pockets than the manufacturer has included in the design.)

If I am diving in a 5 mil or 7 mil and need "lots of weight" I am always certain to consider distribution. I use my trim pockets, my weight pockets, AND a weight belt. This allows for me to have to progressively change my buoyancy. First swift motion and the belt is gone, weight pockets are a pull a each ... 2 seconds overall but I am in control -- not flying toward the surface if I need to drop.

I would encourage you to get in the pool with an instructor if you are going to practice weight drops. The first atmosphere (shallow diving from surface to 33 feet) is the biggest change in volume we experience. We often see shallow water as somehow exempt from the risk, particularly the risk of expansion injuries.

You can work with your instructor to "keep it safe." There is quite a difference between equipment practice and emergency drills. Many agencies only drop weight on the surface and "remove and replace" weight below. This is also further complicated by rental gear. Not all manufacturers are created equal and not all maintenance folks to what needs doing.

I don't practice that, because for a single-tank setup with a wetsuit, my ballast is not ditchable on purpose.

Remember, you should be neutral at reserve pressure & empty BC, implying you would be negatively buoyant by the weight of the non-reserve gas. That's 5-7 lbs (depending on tank size), and can easily be overcome with breath alone. Even with wetsuit compression, I wouldn't need to drop weight at depth.

Many folks will read your post and say things like, "clearly no predive safety check." It is easy to be dismissive and assume diver error. Some weight pockets "feel" like they are locked, others make an audible click. You can be fooled sometimes -- even when you check.
I always pull on the weights to see if they are locked correctly during predive checks.

But this is the issue with some BCDs, you can pull the weights out without the need to unlock them. Which means that when you get stuck with them or the system is worn out, they can easily undo themselves. Which is dangerous.

I have never practiced this. In an emergency I would remove my two weight pockets and surface. I figure I'd be able to do whatever I could do to slow my ascent. Also, I may not want to slow it down if I am desperate for air and the heck with DCS. Funny side story-- when I was assisting on OW checkout dives a student had a weight slip out in 15 feet of water. I went down to get it and while on the bottom another one came down and almost hit me on the head. So much for shop BCDs.

I have practiced slowing runaway ascents.
As a divemaster in training I observed many students using different kinds of recreational bcd. It is my opinion that so many bcd have weight pockets that simply fall out far too easily. These bcd are dangerous for that reason. I feel that, correct, and secure, weighting should be emphasized more than ditching weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom