Do You Eat The Salsa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes,I agree the prescribed treatment is at onset,I read a prophylactic reference on Salix site,it was buried in PDF file under health care professionals.

Personally,I don't like using antibiotics unless it's absolutely neccesary,they just screw up your intestinal flora too much and for too long(rifaximin included),acidophilus really does work in my experience..

I cringe when I hear that people use Cipro purchased OTC in Mexico,and pop them like candy just in case.

I mentioned rifaximin mainly to deter those who like to use a shotgun to kill a Mosca.

If you're concerned and thinking about rifaximin consult your doctor.

:biggrinba Just pack some of that salsa made in New York City, then you won't have to worry.

Don't they put cilantro in guacamole too? This thread is a painful reminder that Friday night, I received a touch of food poisoning. A girlfriend and I went to a local Mexican restaurant and both had the salsa, but she had chicken tacos and I had beef enchiladas in a really good mole sauce. Friday night (Saturday morning) at about 1:00 a.m., I woke up doubled over with stomach cramps. I violently threw up everything I had eaten for the past week and slept most of the day Saturday. My friend was fine, so I don't think it was the salsa, but I'd be willing to bet the enchiladas may have been the culprit. (I only had two small margaritas.)

I've lived in Mexico and Belize, travelled extensively through Mexico on the way to Belize, eaten at many different types of restaurants and road side "diners"...and the only place I have ever gotten ill was Brownsville, Texas! I guess I've been really lucky because I have only ever followed common sense type "rules" like using bottled water.

My advice would be to eat the salsa...eat the ceviche...drink the beer...and have fun!

ggunn:
And (guys) wash your hands before you go to the bathroom. Yes, this is the voice of (painful) experience talking...

The ice on Cozumel is fine. It all comes from the same ice plant, and they use purified water to make it.

I am REALLY glad to hear that....this southern soul drinks iced tea morning, noon and night!

Christi:

There is no vinegar in the salsa either. The salsa whether pureed or chopped "pico de gallo" style, is tomatos, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, onions, FRESH chiles (jalapeno/habanero) I have learned how to make salsa verde and red salsa from several local women, and it's a cardinal sin to use anything but fresh ingredients when making salsa or guacamole...never have I ever heard of or tasted vinegar in the salsa.

Christi -

Can you please give me the measurements to this recipe?

Thanks !

Cozoholic:
Christi -

Can you please give me the measurements to this recipe?

Thanks !

It's all to taste...no measurements. I just dive it all up, mix it all up, and put it in the fridge to chill it and lett the flavors mingle. I like cilantro, so I put alot of cilantro in mine. My batches are never exactly the same, but a typical batch for me would be something like:

4 to 5 roma tomatoes
1 white onion (1 small or 1/2 large)
1 -2 bushels of cilantro
1 large lime (juice from)
1 fresh jalapeno (de-seeded)
2 fresh serrano peppers (de-seeded)
1 clove fresh garlic

Enjoy:)

If you like guacamole...Javier's guacamole is the BEST I've ever had. Compliments to Eileen (eab) for taking the time to type it up on another board. I cut and pasted it here...because it's REALLY delicious! Again, compliments of Javier and eab:

Javier’s Guacamole -- so authentic, you can almost hear the Mariachis singing!

6 serrano chiles
6 tomatillos
8 cloves of garlic
1 cup cilantro, chopped and loosely packed
4 avocados -- they should be dark green, and just slightly mushy
1/4 cup hard cheese (parmesan) or lime juice
2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 cup diced onion

Grill serranos, tomatillos and garlic until charred and soft.

Remove stems from serranos.

In a stone bowl, smash together the garlic and serranos.

Add the cilantro and again smash all together.

Add tomatillos and smash, smash, smash.

Add avocados and smash some more.

Mix in the cheese/lime, salt, and onion.

Add the avocado pits to the mix to keep it from turning brownish in color.

You're supposed to let this chill in the fridge for an hour or so to let the flavors mingle, but you won't be able to. Additionally, this will keep in the fridge for several days, but from our experience there just wasn't enough for the first serving of it.

Enjoy!

Christi:
It's all to taste...no measurements. I just dive it all up, mix it all up, and put it in the fridge to chill it and lett the flavors mingle. I like cilantro, so I put alot of cilantro in mine. My batches are never exactly the same, but a typical batch for me would be something like:

4 to 5 roma tomatoes
1 white onion (1 small or 1/2 large)
1 -2 bushels of cilantro
1 large lime (juice from)
1 fresh jalapeno (de-seeded)
2 fresh serrano peppers (de-seeded)
1 clove fresh garlic

Enjoy:)

If you like guacamole...Javier's guacamole is the BEST I've ever had. Compliments to Eileen (eab) for taking the time to type it up on another board. I cut and pasted it here...because it's REALLY delicious! Again, compliments of Javier and eab:

Javier’s Guacamole -- so authentic, you can almost hear the Mariachis singing!

6 serrano chiles
6 tomatillos
8 cloves of garlic
1 cup cilantro, chopped and loosely packed
4 avocados -- they should be dark green, and just slightly mushy
1/4 cup hard cheese (parmesan) or lime juice
2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 cup diced onion

Grill serranos, tomatillos and garlic until charred and soft.

Remove stems from serranos.

In a stone bowl, smash together the garlic and serranos.

Add the cilantro and again smash all together.

Add tomatillos and smash, smash, smash.

Add avocados and smash some more.

Mix in the cheese/lime, salt, and onion.

Add the avocado pits to the mix to keep it from turning brownish in color.

You're supposed to let this chill in the fridge for an hour or so to let the flavors mingle, but you won't be able to. Additionally, this will keep in the fridge for several days, but from our experience there just wasn't enough for the first serving of it.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I saw that - that was my next step - thanks for making it easy :)

Been to Cozumel many times, from the food there I have never really been sick.

Now the first year we went via Mexicanna air and had the chicken on flight
that night I feed the iguanas anything I had eaten in two days and I think my left kidney.

we never drink water and as for the salsa we tend to just pick the bowl up and slurp it down.

I will say several times after I got back about two days later I may feel a little rummble from below but I figure it's just saying more of that other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom