Do you dive without......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM: What if I don't know how to buddy breathe?
old guy: You die.

I just got it trouble at work for laughing so loud. :rofl3: Thanks everyone for the responses. Its nice to see people out there that still keep to the basics!

And PADI has removed Buddy breathing from the OW Course. In the DM course where you still must buddy breathe they now refer to it as single air source breathing.

Further it states the Instructor will explain single air source breathing to DM candidates that have not been trained on it.

If you would like to see some of it in action, there is a big vintage event at Portage Quarry (Ohio) this weekend.
I cant make it this week end but that would be really cool to watch.:D

And PADI has removed Buddy breathing from the OW Course. In the DM course where you still must buddy breathe they now refer to it as single air source breathing.

Further it states the Instructor will explain single air source breathing to DM candidates that have not been trained on it.

When I was certified I was taught to buddy breath, and practice it with my wife when we dive just in case. I cant believe PADI doesn't teach that anymore......:no:

At first blush I can't understand why a DM should know how to buddy breathe but an OW diver doesn't need that skill. Is a DM more likely to go OOA that a new OW diver?

At first blush I can't understand why a DM should know how to buddy breathe but an OW diver doesn't need that skill. Is a DM more likely to go OOA that a new OW diver?

I don't understand it either. Buddy breathing easy.... so easy that even I can do it :D

It is just another tool in the toolbox. One that hopefully stays buried and gathers lots of dust, but still still good to have.

I have read of situations where two divers in a 3-man team went OOA (due to a series of extreme, unforseen events/circumstances). This resulted in one OOA diver breathing on the donor's long hose, and the other OOA diver buddy breathing with the donor on the short hose :shocked2:

Best wishes.

No matter how I reply to that, even if trying to be sincere, it could be easily misconstrued as a PADI bash or a troll.

I started diving without the aid of a BC, an SPG or an Aux. Second Stage. Except when carrying a LOT of gas or wearing a thick wet suit, I still dive, essentially, without a BC most of the time; that is to say, even when I have one on I don't use it for anything. SPGs are a major advance, I used to hate that waiting for my regulator to start to drag and tell me it was time to surface, but I really like the wireless jobbies we have now ... I can get rid of that hose too. Most of the people that I dive with are as comfortable with BB as I am so I often go without. If I am using my BC then I have this MARES gizmo that lets me attach an OCEANIC OMEGA II to the end of my inflator hose. It is really nice, on occasion (and living in Hawaii the occasions are more and more frequent) to toss on a tank with a plastic pack or a Hawaiian pack and a true single hose regulator and go for a short dive.

It's not ment to be a skill as such but rather as task loading while doing other things. Part of the DM training is a gear exchange while buddy breathing, it's just ment to task load the DMC to see if they remain cool. It was kinda fun for me and Collim7 you will see on the board at times.

Back
Top Bottom