Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ABQ:
Azza,

Looks to me that you've violated the TOS - I will not talk to you further. Gook luck with your diving.

==========

sinkorswim,

NOAA has specific use guidelines for snorkel use, along with all equipment - as you seem to know. The NOAA Skills Evaluation Dives that I did required snorkel tests proficiency.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/ChckoutRpt.pdf

All diving that I did/do for NOAA always fell outside rec profiles; have you ever seen the paperwork? Are you NOAA?

ABQ,
I'd like to hear the official stance on a snorkel. We've been given scenarios by several people on this thread, hypothetical or otherwise, but I haven't heard anything on what purpose the agencies think a snorkel serves in scuba.

H2Andy:
Actually... I just thought of another use for a snorkel: snorkeling with manatees in Crystal River. Love to do it. Scuba scares them, so snorkeling is best.

There's another great story, and another use for the dreaded plastic pipe! :11:

By the way, Andy, I'm afraid that you going to find that.......
diving is as much fun when you are over the hill as it was before that....and a HECK of a lot more fun than being UNDER the hill! :eyebrow:

Rob

tsteinme:
A funny thing happened to me the other day...I was preparing for a night dive and someone on the boat -- not anyone I knew -- made the comment (in a tone that was not jokingly) that I must be an inexperienced diver as I still used a snorkel. ..

Tori

Although I've been a snorkel advocate in my posts, I do have to admit that I've been considering leaving it home since I had a rental BCD hose wrap around it. Now I have my own BCD that actually fits so the hose doesn't want to float up, I have been debating my new dislike for snorkels. I was still inclined to leave it behind as I'm comfortable with my skills at the surface, but this whole thread has made me re-think that. It is the attitude that you mentioned above that makes me want to keep my snorkel most. Maybe I'll never use it, maybe it will get in the way, but it just makes my blood boil when a stranger want to impose their own self rightousness upon me. It's irronic because it's probabaly a reaction to what an agency policy has done unto them. I hate to tell them, I don't work for PADI and PADI can care less what I think. Insulting me won't make it go away or get better. I can care less what equipment they choose to use unless I'm buddied with them, and then only as it relates to the dive. I expect the same respect.

Get a folding one and stick it in your pocket. I picked up an Oceanic today, and it's seems to be a nice compromise between functionality and "foldability" . It has a rigid middle and two flexible silicone tubes on the ends, so it folds (squishes, really) into thirds, and fits right into a pocket.

Terry

Dearman:
Although I've been a snorkel advocate in my posts, I do have to admit that I've been considering leaving it home since I had a rental BCD hose wrap around it. Now I have my own BCD that actually fits so the hose doesn't want to float up, I have been debating my new dislike for snorkels. I was still inclined to leave it behind as I'm comfortable with my skills at the surface, but this whole thread has made me re-think that. It is the attitude that you mentioned above that makes me want to keep my snorkel most. Maybe I'll never use it, maybe it will get in the way, but it just makes my blood boil when a stranger want to impose their own self rightousness upon me. It's irronic because it's probabaly a reaction to what an agency policy has done unto them. I hate to tell them, I don't work for PADI and PADI can care less what I think. Insulting me won't make it go away or get better. I can care less what equipment they choose to use unless I'm buddied with them, and then only as it relates to the dive. I expect the same respect.

Web Monkey:
Get a folding one and stick it in your pocket. I picked up an Oceanic today, and it's seems to be a nice compromise between functionality and "foldability" . It has a rigid middle and two flexible silicone tubes on the ends, so it folds (squishes, really) into thirds, and fits right into a pocket.

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for the tip! I will try one of those. I have one of the two-section "extendable" types, but its durability and functionality under rough conditions has been of concern to me!

Cheers!

Rob

Dearman:

I agree....

I hate snorkels and when I see one I can't help but make judgments about that diver, but I would NEVER say anything to a stranger. Unless someone is doing something outrageous (doing a 100" dive with 50% O2 mix) - only jerks would go around giving unsolicted advice. If someone wants your oppion they will ask, but to go up to someone and make negative comments really lets everyone know you are a jerk. If you are on my team or my friend - I will rib you without mercy about a snorkel - but everyone else is safe *wink*

Dearman:
It is the attitude that you mentioned above that makes me want to keep my snorkel most. Maybe I'll never use it, maybe it will get in the way, but it just makes my blood boil when a stranger wants to impose their own self-righteousness upon me.

It's ironic because it's probably a reaction to what an agency policy has done unto them. I hate to tell them, I don't work for PADI and PADI can care less what I think. Insulting me won't make it go away or get better. I can care less what equipment they choose to use unless I'm buddied with them, and then only as it relates to the dive. I expect the same respect.

Dearman,

I'm like you in the respect of really getting racked out of shape when someone starts ramping on the newbies (or even the oldies) for some imagined sin.

I have to admit I do work for PADI as an IDC Staff Instructor, and for IANTD. I have to admit I am also Scuba Police (but not, of course in the sense referred to in these posts)!

When I teach for PADI, I run everything right out of the book, according to standards. When I teach for IANTD, I run everything right out of their book, according to standards.

When I am out diving for fun, and do not have financial or regulatory relationships with anyone in the group, there is nothing that gives me any right to go up to anyone and start giving them grief about their diving (barring, of course, egregious safety violations). You will not find me doing anything like that. I really do not understand how some people can so arrogantly designate that right to themselves.

"Pero, asi es la vida loca, no?" as we tend to say here in the Great Republic of Tejas! :eyebrow:

Rob Davie

BigJetDriver69:
Dearman,

I'm like you in the respect of really getting racked out of shape when someone starts ramping on the newbies (or even the oldies) for some imagined sin.

I have to admit I do work for PADI as an IDC Staff Instructor, and for IANTD. I have to admit I am also Scuba Police (but not, of course in the sense referred to in these posts)!

When I teach for PADI, I run everything right out of the book, according to standards. When I teach for IANTD, I run everything right out of their book, according to standards.

When I am out diving for fun, and do not have financial or regulatory relationships with anyone in the group, there is nothing that gives me any right to go up to anyone and start giving them grief about their diving (barring, of course, egregious safety violations). You will not find me doing anything like that. I really do not understand how some people can so arrogantly designate that right to themselves.

"Pero, asi es la vida loca, no?" as we tend to say here in the Great Republic of Tejas! :eyebrow:

Rob Davie

I too am an instructor, and, I do not instruct over the internet or outside of class either. Look at my posts: I do not tell anyone what to do, or what not to do. I make general comments about diving, offer my experiences, and explain my dive history.

ABQ:
Azza,sinkorswim,
NOAA has specific use guidelines for snorkel use, along with all equipment - as you seem to know. The NOAA Skills Evaluation Dives that I did required snorkel proficiency.
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/ChckoutRpt.pdf
All diving that I did/do for NOAA always fell outside rec profiles; have you ever seen the paperwork? Are you NOAA?

What are you talking about? All I said is that I disagree on your outlook on the snorkel
issue, and that NOAA teaches how a snorkel creates additional dead gas space and CO2 buildup.

It doesn't matter if it's tech or rec, everyone breathes through a snorkel the same way, and CO2 builds up the same way through a snorkel.

Then all the sudden it's WHAT ARE YOU THE NOAA ? / PAPERWORK GURU ? What does a snorkel proficiency test, have to do with what we are talking about.

And yes as a matter of fact I've seen your guys paperwork, seeing how we dive with you guys all the time, but what does this have to do with that? What do you think I'm accusing you of ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom