Do you dive with an expensive dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu,

Yep that's what I mean. They are great watches. Sorry I just relized that the old watches were called kinetic but the new ones are called automatic (I looked at the face of my new Orange Monster).

Seiko Kinetics are not the same as Seiko Automatics. Automatics are 100% mechanical watches. There's a little pendulum inside that swings back and forth with the movement of the wrist & arm that compresses a spring that then drives everything. The Kinetics are the ones that also utilizes the movement of the arm & wrist but it builds up a capacitor to drive a quartz movement.

Do you dive with an expensive dive watch? Has it ever failed?

I'm wondering if I would be better off with a cheap Casio or Timex for diving. Do people dive with Rolex's and such? As the watch and seals get older, it will fail and a flood will ruin the watch.

Any watch, regardles of Rolex, Swiss Army, Tag Huer, etc is going to have it's seals wear out after a while.

or the seal might not seat well after servicing and flood.

I've had a watch flood before. It just happens. It was right after I had it done with a complete service. (I mean a couple days afterward). Took it back to the shop that did the repair and they made it right. (they had to do another complete rebuilt, add new seals again, buy all new internals. works great after that).

I typically don't dive my more expensive watches on dives where I could damage them (such as high current pulling me against an anchor line and causing my arm to rub hard against the line which could pop the band.)
but that's just my choice because I don't want to loose the watch popping off and plumenting to the sea bed).

I put 4 Rolex Watches and my ORCA EDGE on the right manipulator arm of this sub when Sylvia was learning to pilot it. Nothing flooded.

rolex97sylviaearle-circ.jpg

you too huh?

:rofl3:

Seiko Kinetics are not the same as Seiko Automatics. Automatics are 100% mechanical watches. There's a little pendulum inside that swings back and forth with the movement of the wrist & arm that compresses a spring that then drives everything. The Kinetics are the ones that also utilizes the movement of the arm & wrist but it builds up a capacitor to drive a quartz movement.

This I did not know, thanks !

If my Rolex Sea Dweller or Omega Sea Master were to fail for doing what they were designed to do, I'd send them back to Rolex and Omega respectively packed in my own poopoo.

As the watches get older, you replace the seals. If people fford the cost to service these watches ($150-250) every to five years then I guess they shouldn't own one.

A good brand of watch accredits its own reliability, the purpose it was built for.

The price it costs to service my watch every few years, pales into insignificance
when i look at what it cost to keep my car on the road.

Two new batteries and seals in fifteen years. That's what i paid for, why i own one.

Any watch, regardles of Rolex, Swiss Army, Tag Huer, etc is going to have it's seals wear out after a while.

or the seal might not seat well after servicing and flood.

I send my Rolex and Omega watches to the actual factory service centers and not to a shop with "qualified" technicians. Except that there is this shop in Westminster, California where the technician is actually a school trained watchmaker - this dude I trust.

I typically don't dive my more expensive watches on dives where I could damage them (such as high current pulling me against an anchor line and causing my arm to rub hard against the line which could pop the band.)
but that's just my choice because I don't want to loose the watch popping off and plumenting to the sea bed).

Maratac Zulu Band is your friend. The only way the watch would come off is if your luck is so bad that both spring bars popped at the same time or a pirate cutting your wrist off your arm.:D

Anyone who wears a Rolex to go diving is an idiot. You can buy a $60 digital dive watch to accomplish the same function. Why risk a multi-thousand dollar flood and repair on a watch which was purchased for status?

I own a lot of watches and when I am diving I dive my Rolex ...generally once I put that on it will be on for months I never take it off shower, sleep,dive, work fishing makes no difference.... I bought my watches with the same thinking as when I buy anything which is I am going to use it so it better hold up hard use or its useless

and by the way its never about cheaper .... there are many way we can do things cheaper they are not always better alternatives

Anyone who wears a Rolex to go diving is an idiot. You can buy a $60 digital dive watch to accomplish the same function. Why risk a multi-thousand dollar flood and repair on a watch which was purchased for status?

If thats what you can afford then thats great but I would not get into name calling over this thread. :D

you obviously dont own a rolex.............neither do I...... however.....who are you to call the ones who dive one an idiot? and who are you to pass judement and say they were purchased for status.........I used to know someone who talked like you about rolex watches...............he couldnt afford one........so keep your opinions to yourself and dont pass judement on people

So therefore, anyone who wears a Rolex for anything else in life, other than diving, would you class them as an ''idiot'' also. Or do you use the term loosely.

If you suddenly got one as a gift. Would you refuse it on moral grounds, because you deemed it to be ''status''.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom