Do you dive with an expensive dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you dive with an expensive dive watch? Has it ever failed?

I'm wondering if I would be better off with a cheap Casio or Timex for diving. Do people dive with Rolex's and such? As the watch and seals get older, it will fail and a flood will ruin the watch.

I never did dive with an expensive watch and I never will - Theres computers for that purpose..

I really like breitling products so I have a few and use the super ocean for diving. Could I use a $5.00 watch to do the same thing. Yes, but I all ready have one that works. If the watch ever gets loose I know it will be good to 6600 feet and the fish will enjoy it. :D

Breitling 2009 - BREITLING | INSTRUMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS TM

Define expensive. I dive with a Citizen Eco Drive watch with a countdown function for deco. It's rated for 200m and cost $175. It's relatively inexpensive compared to the Tag Heuer I own.
Something like that I wouldn mind too much bringing down with me. When I answered I was thinking of "expensive" as $1k++

I drowned a Tag Heuer in Palau; I didn't screw the crown down after re-setting to local time. I used to dive with my Rolex Submariner, but I never used it to time dives. Occasionally I'd use it to get back on the boat for lunch. Now I leave it at home and dive a Suunto D9 which is a decent watch and a good dive computer too. I just had the Rolex serviced. They recommend you do it annually if you're diving with it, but I've gone 3 or 4 years between overhauls with no problems.

Something like that I wouldn mind too much bringing down with me. When I answered I was thinking of "expensive" as $1k++

My Tag Heuer was over a $1k (and could certainly go diving) but the Citizen certainly isn't in the $45 Casio G-shock category either.

...I'm trying to figure out why anyone would wish to dive with an expensive dive watch in the first place ? Watches are small...so easy to drop/lose/misplace....you're taking it on and off frequently whenever you put on/remove your wetsuit....can get lost on a crammed/gear-laden dive boat amongst the tons of other gear onboard....set it down in the wrong spot and someone's scuba tank can easily crush it..it can make you a target for crime. My 'cheapie' (less than $ 150) Poseidon dive watch is rated for 500 meters depth.

My Tag Heuer was over a $1k (and could certainly go diving) but the Citizen certainly isn't in the $45 Casio G-shock category either.
Tag Heuer is nice watches and I wouldnt take them diving myself because of the price tag..
One thing is that the watch can take it, another is me losing it, getting it stolen or whatever..

We only take cheap watches on vacation and on dive boats........Casio G-Shocks.......why draw attention to yourself and risk having it lost, broken or stolen...........

I dive two of the same computers and leave the watch on the boat in my dry bag.........

For me, I kept forgetting to note the start of dive time for my "backup" so it was not really a backup.....so I gave up and bought another computer..........

They both turn on simultaneously; have the same NDL algorithm, works great........

One on my wrist and one in the BC pocket..........

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom