Do you dive with an expensive dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I dive two computers..........

We have 4 of the same, since we a family of four (2 Gekkos and 2 Vypers).....

So when I go a trip myself......I take three of them......just because I can........and dive gear is simply not meant to sit dry on a shelf at home........

Now about the chicks dig it comment.........

I have a tough time explaining that one to my darling bride.......especially when I am on a solo dive trip.........:)

M

I wear a Tag Heuer watch while diving and every single day of the year also.
I have had my Tag for 10 years now and it has served me very well without a single problem. Well thats nox exactly true, I droped it from a tank 35' off the ground onto the concrete floor below. Tbe watch still worked after the fall, but the face rotated freely as I moved my arm. So $300.00 later it is back on my wrist. I now take it off if I'm going to be climbing up on top of any tanks.
Jim Breslin

Is yours the Kinetic?

Kinetic. Is that what the self winding mechanical one is called? If so, yes. I believe that model is still made.

Thanks / Stu.

I also dive with my TAG, never have it off my wrist..

Nothing fancy about it, just a great and reliable timepiece and something that's always an essential part of my scuba kit.

Do you dive with an expensive dive watch? Has it ever failed?

I'm wondering if I would be better off with a cheap Casio or Timex for diving. Do people dive with Rolex's and such? As the watch and seals get older, it will fail and a flood will ruin the watch.

For diving, I would get this one & NEVER look back.......This is the type I have used for diving since the late 80;s---think I'm on my 4th one now(& have a brand new one sitting in my drawer for when this one's batteries get low)....For less than $28, no tax & delivered to your front door step, you will never be disappointed---click link....

Amazon.com: Casio Men's Classic Alarm Chronograph Shock Resistant Sport Watch #DW290-1V: Casio: Jewelry

EDIT:---I lied--the 1st 2 I had were G Shocks(click below link) & the last 2 I had were/are this type...basically the same watch(diving wise) but if you want a G Shock, it's about $8 more--but again I would not even spennd the extra 8 bucks...

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1244685866&sr=8-1

I also dive with my TAG, never have it off my wrist..

Nothing fancy about it, just a great and reliable timepiece and something that's always an essential part of my scuba kit.

That's exactly how I feel about my Rolex Sea Dweller. Tough as a tank. Nothing fancy. Wouldn't want to dive without it. Wears just as well in the courtroom as it does underwater.

Is yours the Kinetic?

Kinetic. Is that what the self winding mechanical one is called? If so, yes. I believe that model is still made.

Thanks / Stu.

Stu,

Yep that's what I mean. They are great watches. Sorry I just relized that the old watches were called kinetic but the new ones are called automatic (I looked at the face of my new Orange Monster).

and we both have green eyes, on which hangs another tale that I'll tell ... someday.
OK ... so I'm in New York for the Explorer's Club Annual Banquet. It's always an amazing occasion, you meet old friends and traveling companions and make new friends of people whom you know of your entire life, truly amazing. Diner is at the Warldorf on Saturday night. If you were among the cognoscenti you might have been invited to brunch at Charlie Brush's flat on Park Avenue. I was "in the know" and so I turned up at Charlie's a fashionable half-hour late. There were fifty or sixty people there already, I glanced around ... Bill Hamilton was chatting with Buz Aldrin (they were in flight school together); Alan Shepard was in the corner with some other aviation types, looked like Chuck Yeager and Jimmy Doolittle. I looked to my left down the central hall of the flat that was lined with original Audubons and standing just outside the french doors that opened onto a large terrace with potted trees was Sylvia Earle. We had worked together on a number of projects over the years, so I was no were near as intimidated as I had been by the Astronaut Admiral and the two flyboy Generals.

I walked down the hall and saw that she had Kathy Sullivan with her and rather attractive blond women, one of who looked familiar. Sylvia and Kathy both waived and the two blonds turned around was was older, a few year older than I and the other was considerably younger, there was a clear family resemblance. The older one stared at me intently, there was one of those moments that are just caught out of time ... it seems to take minutes but goes by in a fraction of a second. I recognize her, but before I can blurt out, "Carole ..." she fixes me with her gaze and I'm paralyzed ... "Thal," she murmurs, "I'd never forget those green eyes." It was Carole Kane, of whom I've written in the post I clipped my earlier DOXA remarks from. It was Carole and here Daughter, neither of whom I'd seen in more than 20 years.

and we both have green eyes, on which hangs another tale that I'll tell ... someday.
OK ... so I'm in New York for the Explorer's Club Annual Banquet. It's always an amazing occasion, you meet old friends and traveling companions and make new friends of people whom you know of your entire life, truly amazing. Diner is at the Warldorf on Saturday night. If you were among the cognoscenti you might have been invited to brunch at Charlie Brush's flat on Park Avenue. I was "in the know" and so I turned up at Charlie's a fashionable half-hour late. There were fifty or sixty people there already, I glanced around ... Bill Hamilton was chatting with Buz Aldrin (they were in flight school together); Alan Shepard was in the corner with some other aviation types, looked like Chuck Yeager and Jimmy Doolittle. I looked to my left down the central hall of the flat that was lined with original Audubons and standing just outside the french doors that opened onto a large terrace that overlooked Park Avenue and contained a number of potted trees, was Sylvia Earle. We had worked together on a number of projects over the years, so I was no where near as intimidated as I had been by the Astronaut Admiral and the two flyboy Generals.

I walked down the hall and saw that she had Kathy Sullivan with her and rather attractive blond women, one of who looked familiar. Sylvia and Kathy both waived and the two blonds turned around was was older, a few year older than I and the other was considerably younger, there was a clear family resemblance. The older one stared at me intently, there was one of those moments that are just caught out of time ... it seems to take minutes but goes by in a fraction of a second. I recognize her, but before I can blurt out, "Carole ..." she fixes me with her gaze and I'm paralyzed ... "Thal," she murmurs, "I'd never forget those green eyes." It was Carole Kane, of whom I've written in the post I clipped my earlier DOXA remarks from. It was Carole and here Daughter, neither of whom I'd seen in more than 20 years.

I wore a dive watch in the military while diving.....(Pre Computer) but have not worn a watch in many years.... my computers have always had a watch (time and stop watch) function built in.... A watch is just something else to have to worry about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom