Do you dive with an expensive dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll tell a little story about watches:

There were many unique aspects to the Research Diving Program at Cal, it was very much a 1960s version of today's DIR diving, highly refined and standardized training and procedures, extensive and exacting training and identical gear most of it black. Sound familiar?

It was all there on the equipment list you see, there was a equipment list, and you needed to show up the first night of class with a full set of gear. Some of the stuff was rather standard and easy to get, other pieces were rarer and in short supply making the weeks before the first night of class into a dive gear scavenger hunt that extended from Monterey to Napa and Sacramento to the Pacific Coast.

The recommended suit was a Rubatex GN-231N, skin out, farmer-john, attached hood, no zipper custom suit. You also needed the parts to make a neoprene instrument cuff for your left forearm that held an Ikelight compass, a Sears Waterproof Sports watch and a capillary depth gauge. Steel ?2s with a K-Valve and a plastic backpack that you learned to modify with two stainless steel twistlocks on the left shoulder were in vogue. Also de regur as was a U.S. Divers BC-2 (also known as a BC-707) with CO2 detonators as well as a weight belt with a wire buckle. You had to have a Dacor 300 regulator, when you saw another Berkeley Diver, you knew who they were. Well you knew most of them. Then there were the odd-jobs ... like me.

I was already a diver, at least I thought of my self that way. I'd been diving for more than 10 years, and had made about 1500 dives. That's about the point in every diver's career that they know everything there is to know. Well, knowing everything about diving that there is to know is fine, but back then, when diving was dangerous and sex was safe, it was much more important to look sharp, and I looked sharp.

Besides being 6'2" and a rather muscular 195 lbs., with a strong, clean shaven, cleft chin and thick brown curly hair that fell down to my shoulders (back then, I'm still 6'2" today ... but that's the only similarity), my gear was really gnarly. An orange U.S. Divers Taskmaster suit, was topped with a matching hooded vest, I had a shiny aluminum 72, a Swimmaster MR-12 regulator with (gasp) an "Octopus" and lots of ScubaPro: a triple pane mask, Jetfins, JetSnorkel, CamPack, five finger gloves, and that weightbelt with the blue stripe and the bungies in the back.

Ah there were my instruments, only the hippest gauges would do, ScubaPro Helium Depth Gauge, Suunto SK-6 Compass and my pride and joy, a U.S. Divers, orange face DOXA 300. And the pièce de résistance, my Fenzy. Yeah, I was as cool a diver as they had ever seen , and poor Ken McKaye had to deal with me.

Exactly how Ken turned that refugee from the Thunderball set into a committed Berkeley Research Diver is a story for another time, suffice it to say that through a combination of Ken's incredible skill as a diver, patience as an instructor and brilliance as a researcher I found myself, within just a few months, looking exactly like every other Berkeley Diver (well almost, I did continue to use my gnarly gauges, installed, of course, on a regulation U.C. diver gauntlet).

I caught Ken's eye, shrugged and pointed to my Doxa. Ken shrugged. There had always been a bit of well resentment, perhaps even the feeling that I was guilty of lèse majesté when it came to this watch. Lloyd Austin had a Rolex, but then that was appropriate; after all he was the Diving Safety Officer. I had this beautiful Doxa, but I was just a lowly undergrad. All the other divers in the program had "Sports Watches" from Sears that went for about thirty bucks with a one year guarantee. When the watch eventually flooded, they's get the paperwork from a new diver and that would result in a replacement. Anyway, Ken tried to "flip me the bird," at least that's how I interpreted the upward jerk of his right forearm and the raised three last digits.

Last edited:
Oh........so you were the orginal Dirk Pitt and I thought it was all Cussler's imagination......:)

Being chiseled and all.........with a DOXA.........

M

From Wikipedia..............

Dirk Eric Pitt is a renowned adventurer. He's described as tall (6'3") with craggy looks, dark wavy hair, and possessing a rangy build. His most striking features are his opaline green eyes, which can be both alluring or intimidating, as need be. Pitt has a commanding presence which combined with a quick, sly wit often infuriates those opposed to him. His comical banter with sidekick Al Giordino during stressful situations leaves the reader with little doubt that both are confident of their abilities. While Dirk may be considered the hero of the two, Al Giordino is the man behind him.

Dirk is the son of Senator George Pitt of California. With a woman named Summer Moran, he has twin children: a son, Dirk Pitt, Jr., and a daughter, Summer Pitt. He has had a long-term relationship with Congresswoman Loren Smith, whom he eventually marries. He graduated from the United States Air Force Academy, and attained the rank of Major (this was changed to the U.S. Naval Academy in the film version of Sahara) with lifelong best friend, Al Giordino. In the novel Flood Tide, it is mentioned that he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. In the novel Pacific Vortex! it is revealed that Pitt has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two clusters, a Silver Star, a Purple Heart and many other commendations.[1] Dirk is an accomplished pilot who is qualified to fly both fixed wing and rotary aircraft. His weapon of choice is a .45 Colt M1911 that he received from his father. His drink of choice is Tequila with salt and lime. He's often seen wearing an orange faced Doxa dive watch.

and we both have green eyes, on which hangs another tale that I'll tell ... someday.

I'll tell a little story about watches:

There were many unique aspects to the Research Diving Program at Cal, it was very much a 1960s version of today's DIR diving, highly refined and standardized training and procedures, extensive and exacting training and identical gear most of it black. Sound familiar?

It was all there on the equipment list you see, there was a equipment list, and you needed to show up the first night of class with a full set of gear. Some of the stuff was rather standard and easy to get, other pieces were rarer and in short supply making the weeks before the first night of class into a dive gear scavenger hunt that extended from Monterey to Napa and Sacramento to the Pacific Coast.

The recommended suit was a Rubatex GN-231N, skin out, farmer-john, attached hood, no zipper custom suit. You also needed the parts to make a neoprene instrument cuff for your left forearm that held an Ikelight compass, a Sears Waterproof Sports watch and a capillary depth gauge. Steel ?2s with a K-Valve and a plastic backpack that you learned to modify with two stainless steel twistlocks on the left shoulder were in vogue. Also de regur as was a U.S. Divers BC-2 (also known as a BC-707) with CO2 detonators as well as a weight belt with a wire buckle. You had to have a Dacor 300 regulator, when you saw another Berkeley Diver, you knew who they were. Well you knew most of them. Then there were the odd-jobs ... like me.

I was already a diver, at least I thought of my self that way. I'd been diving for more than 10 years, and had made about 1500 dives. That's about the point in every diver's career that they know everything there is to know. Well, knowing everything about diving that there is to know is fine, but back then, when diving was dangerous and sex was safe, it was much more important to look sharp, and I looked sharp.

Besides being 6'2" and a rather muscular 195 lbs., with a strong, clean shaven, cleft chin and thick brown curly hair that fell down to my shoulders (back then, I'm still 6'2" today ... but that's the only similarity), my gear was really gnarly. An orange U.S. Divers Taskmaster suit, was topped with a matching hooded vest, I had a shiny aluminum 72, a Swimmaster MR-12 regulator with (gasp) an "Octopus" and lots of ScubaPro: a triple pane mask, Jetfins, JetSnorkel, CamPack, five finger gloves, and that weightbelt with the blue stripe and the bungies in the back.

Ah there were my instruments, only the hippest gauges would do, ScubaPro Helium Depth Gauge, Suunto SK-6 Compass and my pride and joy, a U.S. Divers, orange face DOXA 300. And the piïÄe de rñÔistance, my Fenzy. Yeah, I was as cool a diver as they had ever seen , and poor Ken McKaye had to deal with me.

Exactly how Ken turned that refugee from the Thunderball set into a committed Berkeley Research Diver is a story for another time, suffice it to say that through a combination of Ken's incredible skill as a diver, patience as an instructor and brilliance as a researcher I found myself, within just a few months, looking exactly like every other Berkeley Diver (well almost, I did continue to use my gnarly gauges, installed, of course, on a regulation U.C. diver gauntlet).

I caught Ken's eye, shrugged and pointed to my Doxa. Ken shrugged. There had always been a bit of well resentment, perhaps even the feeling that I was guilty of lïÔe majestñ¼/I] when it came to this watch. Lloyd Austin had a Rolex, but then that was appropriate; after all he was the Diving Safety Officer. I had this beautiful Doxa, but I was just a lowly undergrad. All the other divers in the program had "Sports Watches" from Sears that went for about thirty bucks with a one year guarantee. When the watch eventually flooded, they's get the paperwork from a new diver and that would result in a replacement. Anyway, Ken tried to "flip me the bird," at least that's how I interpreted the upward jerk of his right forearm and the raised three last digits.

Thal,
You got any stories from the Thunderball set involving Martine Beswicke? Wow!

http://www.jamesbondmm.co.uk/bond-girls/martine-beswicke2?id=001

Stu,

I send my to the only Seiko repair facility in the US. The information is below. You send your watch in and they check it and then let you know what needs to be done and how much. Is yours the Kinetic?

Coserv
1111 Macarthur Boulevard, Mahwah, NJ 07430, U.S.A
Tel:+1-201-529-3316
Fax:+1-201-529-4525
E-mail:custserv@seikousa.com

Do you dive with an expensive dive watch? Has it ever failed?

I'm wondering if I would be better off with a cheap Casio or Timex for diving. Do people dive with Rolex's and such? As the watch and seals get older, it will fail and a flood will ruin the watch.

If my Rolex Sea Dweller or Omega Sea Master were to fail for doing what they were designed to do, I'd send them back to Rolex and Omega respectively packed in my own poopoo.

As the watches get older, you replace the seals. If people fford the cost to service these watches ($150-250) every to five years then I guess they shouldn't own one.

Quartz watches and other electrically powered watches are great until you really need them and the batteries/electronics conk out.

What are the chances of a dive computer's and a dive watch's batteries conk out on the very first day of your liveaboard dive vacation? Probably pretty rare but it happened to me once. Never again will I use a non-mechanical watch to accompany my dive computer. With a mechanical watch and an SPG, I can dive anywhere any time in case my fancy computer craps out on me for whatever reason.

Besides, chicks dig it.

If my Rolex Sea Dweller or Omega Sea Master were to fail for doing what they were designed to do, I'd send them back to Rolex and Omega respectively packed in my own poopoo.

As the watches get older, you replace the seals. If people fford the cost to service these watches ($150-250) every to five years then I guess they shouldn't own one.
I agree, that's what I have done. It should be noted, however, that after servicing, the Rolex guarantee is only for one year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom