Do you Dive with a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanarcher:
How is this thread even still alive?! Lets just let it go away!!!

Heheheheh

Oh, yeah.
I forgot what the question was. Do I watch the Snorks?
No, snorkel. That was it.

I do not dive with a snorkel.

Although I wanted one yesterday when we had a 20 minutes surface swim out to the pinnacles at Point Dume.
I doubt I'll change though.

boat dive ... no snorkel
shore dive ... it is a must
shore dive surface swim thru kelp bed ... you wish you have one if you don't.

Yup, always dive with a snorkle. I dont want to waste air on surface swims, its great if there are swells, and you never know if you might need it. Its just another part of my equipment that I always have.

Scubagrunt:
NO.
I wish the training agencies would get with the times on this one. .

reading through this post I got to thinking that the other day I noticed on the PADI Open Water video, it distinctly says IF YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR A SNORKLE....

Being a long term instructor, this suprised me a little as I had never noticed that they threw in the option of not wearing one. It is still required during training dives though.

Scubagrunt:
Second, new dives / students, always seem to grab snorkie vs. bc deflator, when going up, this delay has caused many uncontrolled ascents in the less experienced. .

balderdash.... I cannot remember of a single incidence of a student doing this and I have taught thousands.

Scubagrunt:
Third it gets tangles and causes mask leaks.

Absolutely.. This is a big pain in the .......

Scubagrunt:
, swim on your back, it is easier. .

I agree.. I have to wear a snorkle during training and I virtually never use it but find it gets in the way all the time.

cancun mark:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubagrunt
Second, new dives / students, always seem to grab snorkie vs. bc deflator, when going up, this delay has caused many uncontrolled ascents in the less experienced. .

balderdash.... I cannot remember of a single incidence of a student doing this and I have taught thousands.

I've done it and I have seen at least one other person do it. When I mentioned it at one of our LDS get togethers I heard from several others that have done it as well. When I made that mistake I was trying to pull my inflator hose to use the shoulder dump and ended up flooding my mask. That left me overly buoyant and blinded. Wether you choose to believe it or not, it happens.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom