Do you Dive with a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got the Avid which is now folded and tucked inside my BCD pocket. This weekend was the first time I dove without a snorkel. I loved the fact that the snorkel (which weighs more than my low-profile mask) wasn't pulling on my mask or getting caught on anything.

We will see what happens when I run accross Laguna Lifeguards. The snorkel IS in my pocket after all and I know they are just enforcing the law, i.e. doing thier job.

Being the good little PADI diver I had been diving with my snorkel as I had been trained but I got tired of it getting in my way and pulling hair on the side of my head.

I normally swim on my back on the surface so it have delegated it to a somewhat permanent place in my dive bag.

Jeff

JDog:
After years of thinking I was supposed to wear a snorkle. I now decide if one is needed. If I am doing a boat dive, or a shore dive with no swim out, it stays in my gear bag. But if we are doing a 300 yard surface swim, I will take it with me.

Here is ANOTHER story. Not nearly as exciting though. About 2 years ao, myself and my then 14 year old son were doing a boat dive off of Panama City Beach. It was one of those "easy" dives. 70+ ft on a bridge span. The swells got really big while we were down. Long story short, when we came back to the line, it was broke at about 20 feet from the surface. After hanging and doing a three miute stop, we surfaced to find the boat anchored out about another 150 yards. Not normally a bad swim, but I had chosen not to take a snorkle with me that time and as someone else noted, its tough to swim towards a target while you are on your back. Especially in rough seas. (6-10') So, as a lesson learned, when I dive I at least have a snorkle strapped to me somewhere, though it is not my head as I can't stand that.

Ann Marie:
Just got the Avid which is now folded and tucked inside my BCD pocket. This weekend was the first time I dove without a snorkel. I loved the fact that the snorkel (which weighs more than my low-profile mask) wasn't pulling on my mask or getting caught on anything.

We will see what happens when I run accross Laguna Lifeguards. The snorkel IS in my pocket after all and I know they are just enforcing the law, i.e. doing thier job.
This weekend was the first time I dove without a snorkel too. I didn't even bother to fold it up and take it with me at Catalina Island. I just left it in my bag. The place was like a big swimming pool! :crafty:

I looked at a few "folding" snorkels and decided that I would simply fold my old ScubaPro Jet snorkel that I've had since 1979 and shove it in my bellows pocket. When it starts to crack at the point where I fold it, I'll just wrap a piece of duct tape around it. I'll take it with me on beach dives for long surface swims where I don't want to swim on my back, but would rather look at the scenery below.

Old habits die hard and I still can't see unnecessarily breathing off my tank for a 20 - 30 min. surface swim. And as you mention, the Laguna Lifeguard "Snokel Taskforce" will want to see it produced upon request. :wink:

Christian

It posted twice

Can't stand to have the snorkel attached to my head flopping around.
I tend to do surface swims on my back anyway and when I have a snorkel I keep getting water in my mouth...

That pic has to be in a new thread, I will make it............oops, AndrewJD already did it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom