Do you dive with a beard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the 60s and 70s I was diving with a beard, but that's so long ago I can't remember if my mask leaked or how I dealt with it if it did. I grew the beard to look older in my late teens and shaved it off to look younger later on! Image below was taken in 1972... "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

mtman02sm.jpg

Yup I do. No major problems with leakage and I dont trim under my nose at all. But, as someone else has indicated, some days I have NO leakage and others I have to clear periodically.

I usually trim it before any dive, but if it is not a must I could stop doing it. What are some tips to prevent leakage? Keeping the mask tighter or looser? Vaseline? I use an Oceanic Mako 1 mask with a neoprene strap like the one in the pic below.

1186154_10151636406136931_493747936_n.jpg

I do as well. Never too long. Sometimes get small leaks, but that's how I became proficient with mask clearing. :wink:

Back in the 60s and 70s I was diving with a beard, but that's so long ago I can't remember if my mask leaked or how I dealt with it if it did. I grew the beard to look older in my late teens and shaved it off to look younger later on! Image below was taken in 1972... "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

If I don't shave, it makes me look 10 years older and I will get constant leaks. So I shave.

I have a beard but a though time to find a mask with a perfect fit. Found only one. No leak whatsoever.

I did dive with a beard for a while (don't have one now). Doesn't get in the way, but it ITCHES when I get out of the water!!!!

I Do.
9any8u7a.jpg

ry4yja7y.jpg

I haven't found that it gets in the way. I shave about 1/16 in below my nose to allow for the mask to seal. I seriously never have a leak on dives up to 100ft. I dive wet or dry no big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Whew... I don't see any responses from the ladies in this thread. That's a good thing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom