Do you dive from your boat leaving no one aboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedwhiteva

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you do, read the below and think about it!

"On May 1 the COSPAS-SARSAT system detected a 406 MHz distress signal about 60 NM east of Miami in the Bahamas. Coast Guard District 7 received the SARSAT alert when a PLB was activated by two divers as their boat had drifted from their position. Coast Guard launched a helicopter to the scene. The crew of the helicopter located the two divers and requested assistance from a nearby Good Samaritan vessel. The Good Samaritan vessel recovered the two divers and transported them back to their vessel. Two SARSAT Rescues. "

1. The divers had a Personal Locator Beacon. That may have saved their tails.

2. Did the boat drift? or the divers drift? Two very different problems with different
solutions.

That said, I regularly dive with nobody on the boat. No room. The first order of business
on the dive is to check the hook.

The boat drifted

Yes. N

Yes, and I think about it.

I don't do it in high winds, poor viz, or current. Realizing the current could pick up, I stay right under the boat and check the line integrity/ mooring on the descent.

In these instances, we are diving wrecks and not penetrating. Our hull is visible and we glance up periodicaly and note things like the tension and the scope on the line.

I'm not afraid to tell other's no, if the conditions look risky.

Taking all these factors into account and being alert for any variables I might have overlooked, I think it makes diving more of fun challenge when you have to apply some critical thinking to your circumstances.

Also, I notice that when I am doing something *borderline*, my senses are sharper and I stay on my toes. Complacency is less likely and the entire experience more satisfying and rewarding. We plan to house our EPIRB so we can maybe navigate a bit further on the sites.

Another thing I usually do, is call another captain on the water and let them know we are diving and where. I call them once we are up. Maybe they would look for us, maybe they wouldn't, but we load the dice in our favor.

tedwhiteva:
If you do, read the below and think about it!

"On May 1 the COSPAS-SARSAT system detected a 406 MHz distress signal about 60 NM east of Miami in the Bahamas. Coast Guard District 7 received the SARSAT alert when a PLB was activated by two divers as their boat had drifted from their position. Coast Guard launched a helicopter to the scene. The crew of the helicopter located the two divers and requested assistance from a nearby Good Samaritan vessel. The Good Samaritan vessel recovered the two divers and transported them back to their vessel. Two SARSAT Rescues. "

If you do that in the St. Lawrence river, there's a good chance you'll find the Border Patrol waiting for you when you surface.

unattended boats make them really unhappy.

Terry

I would thank them for watching my boat and send them along, why is it their buisness? The government is getting more and more intrusive.

N

why is it their buisness? The government is getting more and more intrusive.
Yea, who cares if they aren't happy. Somebody is always unhappy.
Nemrod, you're my idol.

The government needs to worry about their own business like building highways and national security. When they get that going well, then we can talk about how I run my details. I live for the day they butt out.

Nemrod:
I would thank them for watching my boat and send them along, why is it their buisness? The government is getting more and more intrusive.

N

Should they not react? They seem to take a great deal of interest in a box truck left unattended parked under a bridge, next to a ship or a federal building.

Dave

Don't be ridiculous--my boat would not be anchored next to a federal building in the middle of a huge area or ocean.

No--the government is not here to become a police state and remove our freedom of choice.

Is there actually a federal statute that covers anchoring?

Boats are anchored by themselves all the time--it is called mooring. You moor the boat in safe water and use a dingy to reach shore. The boat is left on a tempoary mooring or permenant mooring--is that illegal now?

The government is out of control and all this terrorist stuff is just an excuse to become a police state. I don't know who I trust less, the government or the terrorist. Remember Kent State, some school shootings are the police, when you have a police state you don't need terrorist or crazy people to do bad things--you have the government to do worse.

Thanks--no thanks--I stick with personal freedom, I guess they would just have to shoot me to protect me. N <---flower power

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom