Do you demonstrate this skill ... or modify it

PADI CW Dive 2 - quick release mech used to demo skill?

• Modified demo - my equipment doesn't accommodate

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Demo as is - I have accommodating equipment

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Use a second weight system for demo

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We perform the skill as required. I wear a bp and wing and half a wet suit in the pool. I don't need any ditchable weight so I demo with a belt. I OW with the full suit on I do have the weight belt. Our students are using several systems. We have integrated systems with pouches (they pull the pouches). Some are using backplates and they use a belt. Students are using hard weights so we must avoid dropping them on the pool bottom. I position myself near the pool side and have student release the weights and give them to me rather than drop them.

gr8lakesdiver once bubbled...

During the 4th and 5th week we do pull the ripcord from depth for independent emergency ascent. Of course this is usually the last skill of the day.

Survivors get c-cards?

The Indy fire dept drop each others weights at depth. Thus far the results have not been good.

Like almost everyone else has said, we do the skill as required. All the intructors that I've worked with have and use a WB for classes.
In my rescue class, we had people that had weight integrated BCs, and the intructor had a WB with 2 lbs on it that those student wore so that the rescuer would have to do that part of the skill.

I always wear a weight belt when I teach, and even if my students have integrated weight systems, I make them wear a weight belt during the course. I have an integrated weight system, but use it only for fun diving. "See instuctor - do like instructor"

I have the thought that a vast majority of divers wear belts, and if you travel abroad, the vast majority of buddys and LDC will have belts as well.

It is an additional skill that should be taught, and if the student has the wherewithall to take what I am saying as gospel, then the student will experiment with his/her integrated system in their own time.

For sessions that require demonstration of these skills i wear a weight belt and weight integrated bcd and demonstrate both methods regardless of student weight systems. Like Drew said, thats the best way to meet the demonstration requirement for both.

Those rip cord type weight release mechanisms are a pain in the arse IMO.

it is demonstrated, we have the equipment, why not demonstrate?

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
it is demonstrated, we have the equipment, why not demonstrate?

Demonstrating emergency release in a BC where the emergency release takes a REALLY LONG TIME TO RESTORE, do you do it and just suffer through the results or do you modify or use other means to AVOID THE WORK.

Back
Top Bottom