• Yes

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • What's CO?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 5 decades and thousands of LDS fills I never had any kind of issue including CO.

You are very old but it only takes one bad fill to end it all without you knowing about it.

You are very old but it only takes one bad fill to end it all without you knowing about it.

That's true, it can even be compared to crossing a busy street that you cross everyday. It just takes one errant driver and moment of inattention on your part and suddenly you aren't getting very old. :wink:

When I started diving a CO tester wasn't an item any diver I knew had or could afford to own. That has changed, though still not an inexpensive item. If someone has the funds to get a CO tester and uses it, more power to 'em. I certainly would not refuse an offer to test my tank from such a fortunate fellow diver.

I use a Sensorcon to test for CO, and have done so for years. While I have never had a bad reading (yet), my dive buddy had very elevated readings after I tested his tank on a 2019 dive. At first, I thought my Sensorcon malfunctioned, but after running several test away from any CO source, and comparing to my tank readings, his readings were way out of the range either of us was comfortable with for a dive. He bought a tester the next week, and we agreed to cross test each tank for future dives.

Anyone ever had a CO hit experience above the water line - I have, twice, and it's way way noticable that something is wrong - it's not an on off light switch, more like a dimmer switch at least for me.

Anyone ever had a CO hit experience above the water line - I have, twice, and it's way way noticable that something is wrong - it's not an on off light switch, more like a dimmer switch at least for me.

It maybe a little different when one is weightless and horizontal.

Added later: Also the PP of the CO is greater underwater so one is getting denser (more) CO than at 1 ATM.

I don't check for CO levels (don't recall even seeing a sensor for that around here) but i do test for the O2 levels.

Already had several occasions where i asked for a 21% or a 32% and end up getting something completely off.

Last time i asked for 36% and got a 42!

Can’t believe that @DandyDon has not entered this conversation. Your cue maestro!
I guess the full word wasn't used as MONOXIDE sends me an alert. CO is too short. Notice the majority dives on luck. I'm not up to reading pages of excuses today.

So, nearly 1/3 of respondents check CO levels This is a lot like many other SB polls, many of which I have run, reporter bias. I have nearly 2000 dives, I have never seen a CO monitor. Not that it is a bad thing, just think almost nobody checks.

Do you just crack the valve and hold that sensor close?

There are two methods with the sensorcon. One is fill a bag with the sensor in it and the other is to regulate flow through a hose that’s inserted in the sensor port on the gauge. I’ve found the gauge to be very accurate, repeatable and a great value.

You guys probably hurt Dandy’s feelings on the other thread saying he had a fixation with CO. That’s why he took so long to reply on this one.

Every dive you live thru is a successful test.
What do you call it when luck is used to confirm a decision is safe?

You guys probably hurt Dandy’s feelings on the other thread saying he had a fixation with CO. That’s why he took so long to reply on this one.
The rumor is that I have none of those. I was actually out but did check-in after a while. I have Monoxide set to give me an Alert if the word is used, but CO doesn't work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom