• Yes

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • What's CO?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tna9001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

There are a lot of very unlikely events that can kill you while diving and many of them are error chain type events where a mistake leads to another and so on. CO in your gas on the other hand is deterministic, you can check before you dive if your gas is good or not. CO analyzers are expensive $400 or so and have a limited sensor life so for someone diving a few times a year it's an expensive safety check. I'm curious how many of you all check your gas for CO?

Reactions: OTF
What is the statistical probability someone would get a fill with elevated CO?

I don't own an analyzer, DAN is not the least bit concerned from the conversations I've had with them. I can't recall off the top of my head a CO scuba fatality.

So no, I don't test. But I'm basing this on Florida diving. In another country, with sketchy compressors, I might consider it.

When pumping from my aged compressor, I have in-line monitoring... Prior to that, I have never tested from shops I have used or destinations I have traveled to..

Never.
After multiple dives with an operator, 100s, and him having purchased a meter and deciding testing was to become his latest thing, I stormed off the boat!

Never.
After multiple dives with an operator, 100s, and him having purchased a meter and deciding testing was to become his latest thing, I stormed off the boat!

What's wrong with him testing tanks for CO?

What is the statistical probability someone would get a fill with elevated CO?

I don't own an analyzer, DAN is not the least bit concerned from the conversations I've had with them. I can't recall off the top of my head a CO scuba fatality.

So no, I don't test. But I'm basing this on Florida diving. In another country, with sketchy compressors, I might consider it.

I'll be diving almost exclusively out of the US. I wonder how reliable statistics are with CO-related casualties? The diver and tank would have to be recovered with the tank still having gas in it then, the gas in the tank would have to be tested for CO. I'm sure in the US if there was a fatality and the diver was recovered and there was air left in the tank it would be tested. I wonder if an autopsy would detect CO poisoning?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom