Do you bring your light with you every dive?

Do you bring your light with you every dive

• Yes

Votes: 138 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always have my Sola 1200 focus light with me, without it I would miss half the small stuff I like to photograph

Yes, light carried on every dive. Here's a typical dive in the Clyde, on the Akka in good conditions earlier this year;

[video=youtube;BkS0e3ySz9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkS0e3ySz9o[/video]

I haven't in the past but my recent trip to Bonaire, using a Tachyon camera, made me realize that a high intensity wide angle light might make for more than semi-black-and-white video. I just got a FantaSea 1500 lumen led with 110° beam. I plan to take it on every dive. Though I probably won't use it continuously, I want it available at all times and it's very small and so unobtrusive.

I at least carry my "backup" light all the time. but then i keep a flashlight in the truck & in my messenger bag (along with an umbrella) as well on land too

I take my backup light on every dive. It's on the left shoulder strap of my harness on a retractor and held to the strap by a hose holder. I reach up pull the light out use it, when I'm done the retractor pulls it back thru the holder I just need to guide it. Out of the but always ready.

Really no such thing as "Day-diving" in Norway half the year. With the exception of a couple of hrs a day, there is mostly dusk/dawn around here. Add a bit of clouds, it is pretty much dark any time of day.
And even in the summer, the sun is rather low on the horizon even at mid-day. Add the ubiquitous algal soup you find in the top 3-8m layer all year except occasionally in the cold season, and it's pretty dusky below even during high summer. I always carry some kind of light, although occasionally it has just been the focus light on my camera strobe.

My primary is a SOLA 1200, and my backup is a Subgear Prolight XP. The backup has now been given permanent residency in my gear pocket, so that one always comes with me. I always carry the SOLA as well during autumn, winter and spring, for the reason Imla mentioned

Here is a perspective from a warm, clear water tropical diver (Florida mostly). You would not think I would need any light at all, and that is true, but

I carry my Watershot 1800 lumen dive light, and have it on, for EVERY dive, all the time. Having the light brings out all of the incredible colors of the coral and the fish, and allows peaking under ledges and into holes to see interesting critters. Carrying the light has nothing to do with photography or video or a "need" to have it, it just makes every dive a better and more enjoyable experience. It is also an excellent tool for signalling my buddy.

I need a powerful light to overcome the bright ambient light and this thing really does the job. The small light head is strapped to the top of my hand with a soft mount, with a cord running to the very small battery pack on my waist band. I would not call it a "canister" light because canisters are ridiculously big compared to this thing, which is only a few inches long. It is completely "hands free" and you barely notice it at all. The brightness is equal to any "tech" canister light, and run time on high (1800 lumen) is six hours, up to 12 on "low" (600 lumen).

Using the light has made my diving immensly more enjoyable.

I didn't see the can light qualifier until I had already voted. I carry a redundant set of lights on every dive... my pair of Sola 1200 video lights.

Thanks for all the great answers people. I generally don't as the group I dive with doesn't. But I will start to and hopefully they will see the benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I would not carry an obsolete, huge can light on a day dive. I do sometimes on a night dive. There are lights now I can hold in my hand that provide more than enough light for night diving or peeking into holes in the day light.

But, I, I just remembered, my Inon strobes each have two 250 lumen LED lights on them and I have used them for short penetration lighting through coral caves etc.

My bicycle has two tiny little LED units that put out 550 lumens and run for 1.5 hours on high power. They both fit in one hand. I am thinking to purchase one and put it's insides into a dive light.

Most people get irritated if somebody brings the sun along with them on a night dive. It is supposed to be dark and the critters appreciate not being melted and the other people enjoy not having their dark adaptation ruined.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom