Do you bring your light with you every dive?

Do you bring your light with you every dive

• Yes

Votes: 138 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRIS shorty clipped on right shoulder D ring, looking into crevices or under wrecks, signaling. Intova 660 in pocket, backup. Princeton Amp 1L left shoulder D ring. Use as a marker.

I try to keep my kit up consistent so I never forget anything. I have done a 10:00 am dive on a sunny day and it has been like a night dive at depth due to upper layer particulate matter.

On night dives I will most often carry my UK C8 because it is dimmer and more dispersed, but the others remain clipped off in their normal positions with the exception of the Amp which moves to the tank.

We all dive with at least two on every dive. A backup light for looking in crevices and under ledges and a strobe/light combo as part of our safety equipment.

I always have a cheap but durable 6" backup light. Reason: Why not? It takes so little space & weight and costs only about $12. I take it on the off chance that it might be useful, on the dive or any time during the day.

I don't carry the big light if there is no reason to think a flashlight would be useful. With no reason to find one useful, I will usually still have backup light in my pocket. I'm not going to bother with the weight, the extra chord across my chest, and the lamp head dangling from one chest ring for no good reason. It's also senseless to risk breakage/loss/theft (these all most likely in the above-water stages) or even waste a charge cycle for no reason.

I always leave the big light behind when taking my camera w/ wide angle lens. I don't own a flash so you can surmise that my camera only goes out when there's a fair bit of daylight.

I've never been on a dive and thought "damn... I really wish I didn't have a light with me."

Two lights, at least, on every dive. Three if overhead or night dives.

Last edited:
You think where going to unload all the $$ on a flashlight and not use it? i mostly dive at night or do dive below 50 ft so a light is help full for looking colors, pointing stuff out and communications

The word "every" is pretty absolute. In quizzes, the presence of the word "every" in the question usually means the answer is false.

I am sure I carry at least one light at least 90% of the time. On bright clear shallow reef dives--nah.

Always carry my torch. Even on tropical reefs is great for pointing out fish and small crawly stuff. Also great to highlight colours of corals and so on at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom