Question Do you bring tools with you on dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtsfour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was reading a thread on reddit and the topic of bringing tools during a dive came up. I don't typically carry any tools with me in the water.

Do you guys carry tools during dives? If so what tools do you bring and why?

define tools..... a line cutter, knife, light, dsmb, etc... are all tools. If you're talking about "tools" as in wrenches, hammers, etc... then I don't think the majority of divers are taking them underwater. I carry an adjustable wrench, hex keys, a pick and o-rings on the boat, but not on the actual dive. I'd guess some might carry wire cutters if they'll possibly run into wire/cable on wreck dives...but I'd think that'd be about it...

define tools..... a line cutter, knife, light, dsmb, etc... are all tools. If you're talking about "tools" as in wrenches, hammers, etc... then I don't think the majority of divers are taking them underwater. I carry an adjustable wrench, hex keys, a pick and o-rings on the boat, but not on the actual dive. I'd guess some might carry wire cutters if they'll possibly run into wire/cable on wreck dives...but I'd think that'd be about it...

Same here. I have a big "Service" tools box with me when I go to dive but that sits in the trunk of the car or on the boat when I jump into the water and do the dive. I don't carry "service" tools with me U/W.

I've used it many times. Even if you're not under water, you don't have to take crap off and walk back to the truck if this is in your pocket.

IMG_20240707_203807.jpg

I dive with this in case I need to swap regulators during a dive. Never used it so far underwater.

1720411642374.png

I've used it many times. Even if you're not under water, you don't have to take crap off and walk back to the truck if this is in your pocket.

View attachment 850022

This. Not all the time, but most of the time I have one of these in a pocket.

View attachment 850022

Same here, I keep a multi tool in my wetnotes if I have to adjust something in the water and a wrench in my pocket. The wrench is mainly used when I’m crewing on boats set a mooring, but it’s come in handy other times as well.

I dive solo, so I have redundant everything.
Extras:
Day-trip boat Dives: Nothing, If something is wonky I'll rent what I need
Shore Dive near home: The full tool box and spares kit.
Resort or LOB: Adjustable wrenches, Hex keys, Wire cutters, several pliers, bit driver and 12 bits All Stainless Steel (thank-you McMaster-Carr), O-Ring kit, Tribolube, Spare HP, LP, Inflator hose, Spare inflator assembly. Spare regs. (12lb SAD kit)
Objetive: Don't go near the water with questionable equipment. Don't miss a dive.

I keep a nut driver for my sidemount/stage bands and an adjustable wrench. I've been trying to get my hands on the Taran Tool (TaranTool) but so far nobody's answering facebook and I can't find anyone selling them. We had a Tank Knob fall off in the water a few weeks ago (mexico rentals, yea yea we should have checked them on land) after everyone was geared up so would like to add a tank knob wrench to the kit.

I keep one of those Pandora multitools in my wetnotes. I also usually have a stainless steel adjustable wrench for moorings. I also keep an LP port plug in my wetnotes zipper pocket.

I've only had to use the Pandora tool underwater once but I've saved many people's dives on surface and saved a walk back to car.

1720448255650.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom