Do Tiger Sharks like inflatable kayaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachscuba1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was kayaking in my new Sevylor inflatable diveyak today. My goal was to paddle out from shore (solo), set anchor and dive around a bit for practice. After I completed the tasks I set out to accomplish, I started paddling south, paralleling the shore. When I started in the proper direction, I happed to look down into the crystal clear water to observe what I thought was a large manta ray. I needed to get a better look so I donned my mask and dunked my head under water. To my surprise a large (maybe 8 foot) Tiger Shark was heading towards my face! Needless to say I hurriedly paddled to shore fearing it might want to taste the rubber inflatable. The shark followed me for approximately ten minutes until I was in shallow water then left.

I figured it was just curious and not necessarily a threat. Has anyone had similar experience with tigers? Do they normally follow kayaks?

i don't know about inflatable kayaks, but we did see one chomping on a homemade bouy. guess if they are hungry they might like a little taste.

Based on my experience, no.

My one encounter with a tiger shark was while paddling an 18 foot Klepper fol-boat kayak in the Sea of Cortez back in 1971 or 72. For those who aren't familiar with them, these boats have a collapsible wooden frame over which a rubberized canvas shelll is stretched and then the sides inflated.

We were paddling out to an island 5 miles offshore near Bahi de Kino. About 3 miles out, I spotted something in my peripheral vision and turned to see the dorsal fin of a hude shark coming right at the bow. It rose to the surface and turned, looking straight at me. I held my paddle up in the air and braced to stabilize the kayak as it hit the bow, bringing it slightly out of the water.

The two of us remained quiet for sometime after the impact, waiting for it to return and finish us off. Based on the length of our kayak, we estimated it to be 22 ft long. Later we heard stories from members of the Mexican shrimp fishing fleet anchored nearby. They were well aware of "el grande tiburon). Apparently it had taken several crew members who slipped off the decks of the boats while sorting the catch.

The only thing we could assume was that the tiger shark didn't like the feel of our semi-inflatable kayak. Whew!

Where's the pic's? Without pic's it's just a big fish tale!

Where were you kayak diving, I'll go back with my camera and see if tony is still there.

I know, sorry. It was in north Kihei fronting the new parking spots about here: 20°46'28.23"N 156°27'49.96"W

I saw someone on TV in South Africa who would swim with the tigers! He'd hold onto their dorsal fin and catch a ride... Not suggesting you do that, but the show was pretty cool anyway. He did it with some Great White's as well...

Sean

I know, sorry. It was in north Kihei fronting the new parking spots about here: 20°46'28.23"N 156°27'49.96"W
Ahh, North Kihei... that explains it. :)

I suspect he was hoping you were spearing and going to provide a stringer with an easy lunch.

I've heard of a similar experience (except the shark actually bumped the kayak) off the beach at the end of Lipoa.

Once my fearless dive buddy (howard4113) gets back to Maui, we'll have to do a dive near there... that would be awesome to catch on film! :D

Tiger Sharks are notorious scavenger feeders. From what I understand you're almost safe under the water with them but if you're floating on the surface, you're fair game. The other issue is I think its breeding season. The females are usually famished before and after birth.

Tiger Sharks are notorious scavenger feeders. From what I understand you're almost safe under the water with them but if you're floating on the surface, you're fair game. The other issue is I think its breeding season. The females are usually famished before and after birth.

Pffffft...........Dohoo... LOL!!!:rofl3:

Now that is reassuring info !!! :D

I would bet he feels much safer now...... while peeing in his pants:rofl3:
:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom