Do Tiger Sharks like inflatable kayaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this supposedly is a real pic
according to Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Follower

shark-kayak2.jpg

Based on the touched up pictures, does anyone have an idea what species of shark that might be. To me it looks too thick around the middle to be reef shark or a tiger shark. If it is a reef shark or a tiger shark, might it be a pregnant female?

I'm betting on Tiger.

The nose, tail and dorsal don't really match that of any of the reef sharks, nor the galapagos -- all somewhat more likely to be seen than the tiger. Not to mention the general stocky-ness pointing towards tiger.

I suppose she could be pregnant. According to Sharks and Rays of Hawaii (Crow and Crites), the tigers generally give birth in Sept/Oct.

Ed Robinson thought it was a tiger.

I need to show this to my son so he will start coming in off the water at dark. (they say they caught a shark the other night)

It looks like Kailua beach, which is shallow like that and pretty sharky.

Definitely a tiger and yes it's either just digested a seal or its pregnant. .

Mike,
According to someone on another board they know the researcher who took the photo. Yes its real.

Probably pregnant and somehow knows I am a midwife! LOL

The shape of the nose definitely looks like a great white or mako (pointy) while a tiger has the more squarish "shovel" nose. If this is Hawaii, it looks to be the leeward coast of somewhere (see how flat the water is?) - Maui is my guess. Of course, those are just my theories. We'll never know unless we speak to the photographer and/or kayaker (or the shark for that matter!).

the page the picture is on says it is Capetown (s. africa).

The shape of the nose definitely looks like a great white or mako (pointy) while a tiger has the more squarish "shovel" nose. If this is Hawaii, it looks to be the leeward coast of somewhere (see how flat the water is?) - Maui is my guess. Of course, those are just my theories. We'll never know unless we speak to the photographer and/or kayaker (or the shark for that matter!).

It is a great white and this was taken off of the coast of South Africa for a story in Africa Geographic magazine about the great whites of Africa. Here's a different magazine, The Big Issue, whose article features another photo from the same sequence:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Follower

I definitely would not want to be in anything on the surface that could be mistaken as a sea lion or seal by a big shark from below...:11:

Back
Top Bottom