Do Tiger Sharks like inflatable kayaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving Makena Landing (my first solo ocean dive) this afternoon and having a great face to face interaction with a large turtle when I turned my head a saw what appeared to be a ten foot tiger about 30 feet away. Sucked down about half my air in the next 5 minutes!

"my first solo ocean dive".

My first solo ocean dive was off Oahu. I hauled two tanks on a dolly down the crater. Swam through the gap and had two very perfect dives but the thought of meeting a large shark by myself was always on my mind and had me looking over my shoulder on occasion. :D The dives were just good enough to make me do it again If I can get back out there this November.

I will definently do it again. Just wish I had taken more than one quick picture of the shark! My first thought was "cool, shark, snap". But my second thought was "Oh, #%@^ that is big" After that I was busy trying to be invisible.

Tiger don't LIKE anything but their food sources. however, they have been known to 'mouth' or 'bite' ALMOST ANYTHING they come accross to see if IT is a food source.

I will definently do it again. Just wish I had taken more than one quick picture of the shark! My first thought was "cool, shark, snap". But my second thought was "Oh, #%@^ that is big" After that I was busy trying to be invisible.

You got a photo?

Gonna share? :D

Wow they had a shark attack yesterday off Wailea Beach I believe.. It was in the Maui News paper... Some guy got a big cut and they closed the beaches... I saw DLNR with their small inflatable and the jet ski heading North on the Piilani highway last night too...

Maybe that was your Tony!

Sean

My picture is pretty lousy but I am willing to share-just don't laugh! I posted my original (very hard to see) and the improved version that Shaka Doug cropped and color corrected to an album on this site. just search for diverdiane and tiger shark.

Got chased by a 15 footer off of north Maui about four years ago. One of my top three diving adventures! What a beautiful animal... Im in there world, they can do with me as they please. I have a fuzzy shot of an 8 footer head on at three feet in the MOC. Serious pucker power to get that one. Hold, hold, hold, it will hit the camera first, hold. shoot! Moving so fast it was out of focus... Need to try it again.

My picture is pretty lousy but I am willing to share-just don't laugh! I posted my original (very hard to see) and the improved version that Shaka Doug cropped and color corrected to an album on this site. just search for diverdiane and tiger shark.

Here are some touch ups to your picture you took. It wasn't a bad shot! Just needed the right touch ;-)

Dang that was a big fish...I'm jealous!

Dave (Bcyber)

Attachments

• tiger_shark_TOUCHUP1_BCYBER.jpg
    tiger_shark_TOUCHUP1_BCYBER.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 190
  • tiger_shark_TOUCHUP2_BCYBER.jpg
    tiger_shark_TOUCHUP2_BCYBER.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 102
Much better, thanks for the touch ups!

Based on the touched up pictures, does anyone have an idea what species of shark that might be. To me it looks too thick around the middle to be reef shark or a tiger shark. If it is a reef shark or a tiger shark, might it be a pregnant female?

Peace,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom