Do the first 30-dives make you a statistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner Diver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is closed

I’ve just finished reading a scathing DAN report on the internet that sent shivers down my spine. The study (dated decades earlier) provides examples and percentages establishing that novice divers are in fact more prone to mishap than any other diving group. If this is true, how do I avoid becoming the next victim? I really had my heart and mind set on being Open Water certified and now, I feel terribly vulnerable. Would this finding denote a minority of OW instructors are liable and incompetent, or am I being too pedantic? I really don’t care about experienced technical divers or quasi instructors lining up to congratulate me for asking bold and intrusive questions. No moral support needed. I just want to hear from novice divers who recently passed their OWC. How did you feel beforehand? Were family members involved in your decision? What gave you the courage to continue when things looked bleak? Did you bravely go it alone or were you part of a friendly, motivated group? Were you locally trained or did you selfishly put your life in the hands of an agency-affiliated, foreign instructor working for a developing nation’s tourist industry? Did you Google search whether the dive operator had access to a hyperbaric chamber on standby, with an accredited physician? Which training agency did you choose and why? I would like to thank all of you wonderful novice divers in advance for sharing your personal insights. I truly feel humbled an honoured to be part of a growing and dedicated community. I’m beginning to feel like we’re family.[/Mod]

World War Two bomber found on moon. This was the front page headline, April 24, 1988 of a national UK newspaper.

Without any supporting documentation, it is difficult to give any more credence to “scathing DAN report” than this front page news.

I was once a “novice diver”. Was one of the first ones in the club after BSAC changed the diving grades in the mid 1980’s. Strangely, I never felt any of your issues and felt well looked after in the club.

Half of new drivers have an accident within the first 6 months of getting their license. This is not unique to SCUBA

AI would make more sense. I vote grumpy old man yelling at clouds.

Trying to make a serious reply....

If it is a DAN report, it will be easy to link with it. No one can possibly comment without seeing the source.

Can someone please ban this account already.
Honestly, agreed. This isn't what I envisaged when paying to become a supporter of the forum.

It's just spam question after spam question by someone who is not certified and despite all advice to the contrary, is unlikely to ever become certified.

It's just spam question after spam question by someone who is not certified and despite all advice to the contrary, is unlikely to ever become certified.
It's a troll

Personally I think he should just take up crochet or cross stitch but he might injure himself and require a blood transfusion, a bit of a risk there too.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom