Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minimum Deco dives to be more accurate. :wink:
That's just a GUE term that no one else uses outside of the DIR world.
There are some interesting historical threads on this concept:

Are you guys trying to beat the Nova drysuit thread record?
These discussions often make me think of this:
"Wait, when does this end? When do they stop fighting?"
"Oh ... um ... they don't"
"Oh"

Interesting question, and not sure I'm the best one to answer it. I assume that if the industry/dive agencies really wanted to make a stink about it they could impose some kind of sanctions against the DMs and shops that are leading the dives, and/or lobby industry insurers to not insure DMs leading those dives or owners of dive sites, and/or lobby state & local lawmakers, etc.

In Mexico I would guess local lawmakers have bigger issues than messing with tourism. What type of liability do DM and shops have in Mexico?
So who and what constitutes the dive industry? In Mexico, rules for leading cenote dives have been established by "the dive industry," although I do not believe those rules are actually laws. For example, the person leading the cenote dive is supposed to be fully cave certified and wearing proper cave gear. They are supposed to stay within the cavern zone. Now, these rules are indeed broken sometime, but they exist.

So who and what constitutes the die industry? In Mexico, rules for leading cenote dives have been established by "the dive industry," although I do not believe those rules are actually laws. For example, the person leading the cenote dive is supposed to be fully cave certified and wearing proper cave gear. They are supposed to stay within the cavern zone. Now, these rules are indeed broken sometime, but they exist.
I would say they are similar to maximum depth recommendations.

Ok...... So after all of this I think here's where we are.

All dives involve decompression but we still call some of those dives no decompression dives and we call others decompression dives if decompression procedures are recommended, prescribed or otherwise advised.

And......now that I've finally come to "peace" with that.........tonight I am going to celebrate by having a completely vegan meal only it will include a nicely marbled rib-eye beef steak!
Similarly, on the news today, I learned that Mauna Loa, which they said was the largest active volcano in the world, is erupting for the first time in 40 years.

How can they have been calling it an active volcano if it hasn't been erupting in 40 years? It's almost as if the phrase "active volcano" uses the word "active" in a way it is not used in other contexts. Who could have expected that?

I live an active lifestyle in the same way a volcano does
For some reason I read your nickname as chipotle when reading this

Similarly, on the news today, I learned that Mauna Loa, which they said was the largest active volcano in the world, is erupting for the first time in 40 years.

How can they have been calling it an active volcano if it hasn't been erupting in 40 years? It's almost as if the phrase "active volcano" uses the word "active" in a way it is not used in other contexts. Who could have expected that?
I thinik if you talk with a geologist, an “active volcano” is one with seismic activity under it, and sometimes steam vents on the volcano. Magma is moving under it, which means that sometime in the future it could erupt. We have a number of active volcanos in the Pacific Northwest, including Mt. Hood near me and Mt. Rainier near Seattle. These are volcanos that geologists worry about.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom