Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding (folks here can correct me if I'm mistaken) is that the diving industry in general has decided to not oppose those cenote dives for certified divers as long as they stay within (or near) certain parameters, such as being guided by a full-cave certified guide, and staying somewhat near where you can see an area lit by sunlight (seemed like this was stretched a bit in Dos Ojos), etc. I think some of the deeper cenotes (like The Pit) require AOW.
What could the industry do?

What could the industry do?
Interesting question, and not sure I'm the best one to answer it. I assume that if the industry/dive agencies really wanted to make a stink about it they could impose some kind of sanctions against the DMs and shops that are leading the dives, and/or lobby industry insurers to not insure DMs leading those dives or owners of dive sites, and/or lobby state & local lawmakers, etc.

Interesting question, and not sure I'm the best one to answer it. I assume that if the industry/dive agencies really wanted to make a stink about it they could impose some kind of sanctions against the DMs and shops that are leading the dives, and/or lobby industry insurers to not insure DMs leading those dives or owners of dive sites, and/or lobby state & local lawmakers, etc.
In Mexico I would guess local lawmakers have bigger issues than messing with tourism. What type of liability do DM and shops have in Mexico?

I think people are being overly pedantic with the decompression dive thing. Sure, as soon as you start to descend your tissues absorb more nitrogen, but as long as you stay within your NDL and you ascend at a recommended rate of 30 feet per minute, you are fine if you go straight to the surface. A 3-minute safety stop is advised for additional safety, but can be skipped in the case of an emergency.

This pedantism is confusing to divers. Decompression diving should (my opinion, worth exactly what you all paid to hear it) reserved to when decompression stops are required.

Let's not overcomplicate things.

Now I'm hungry.
I think both sides of the argument are being excessively pedantic. The context matters. Sometimes (usually) it is useful to use "deco dive" only to mean when your computer (or your dive planing procedure) says you need a deco stop. Sometimes (occasionally) it is useful to realize that all dives involve decompression, exist on a continuum, and that the division is somewhat an arbitrary choice.

In situations where the context is ambiguous, just ask the person which meaning of the phrase they are using before going bonkers.

In Mexico I would guess local lawmakers have bigger issues than messing with tourism. What type of liability do DM and shops have in Mexico?
Since when did bigger issues ever stop lawmakers from spewing legislation? :) I can't really speak to liability issues in Mexico.

Since when did bigger issues ever stop lawmakers from spewing legislation? :) I can't really speak to liability issues in Mexico.
Really anyone can take you cave diving if you let them regardless of scuba agencies. I would guess cenote diving brings in solid revenue for the area,

In situations where the context is ambiguous, just ask the person which meaning of the phrase they are using before going bonkers.
If we did that on ScubaBoard, the moderators wouldn't have much to do!

Really anyone can take you cave diving if you let them regardless of scuba agencies. I would guess cenote diving brings in solid revenue for the area,

Look at it another way, there are no laws in the US regulating diving, other than some flag laws and a few local ordinances, why would Mexico bother?

In my limited experience in cenote diving, there were times where we could not see any light. It is a money maker for sure.

...All dives involve decompression but we still call some of those dives no decompression dives and we call others decompression dives if decompression procedures are recommended, prescribed or otherwise advised.
Maybe. Or maybe they're called Minimum Deco dives to be more accurate. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom