Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I live, as a civilian, there is no duty to act. Florida also has a Good Samaritan law. This is intended to encourage those who may be trained to help, to do so. The law provides immunity from civil lawsuits if a person receiving aid is injured or dies. There is a presumption that the aid offered is in line with the training or certification held.
Even so, there is no requirement to render aid.

Several comments:

1. On the OP's situation, the dive op were jerks. They deserved to be told off for multiple reasons. He was not being paid to act as a Rescue Diver. Rescue Diver is not a professional credential. He did what he could do. Clearly, the OP has gonads and was willing to tell them how it is.

2. On the OP's situation: There was going to be a third buddy regardless. It happens. That person had an AOW card and, the way some would advise, they might have been a Course Director (i.e., instructor trainer) unwilling to share that information. There's not much the dive op can do if the diver doesn't live up to their certification level. (Maybe do a checkout dive, but few dive ops do that unless a riskier dive is anticipated later.)

3. On telling highest certification level when asked: You do you, but I've never had a negative experience due to this. In fact, I've been given a lot more latitude to do my thing. And if asked to ACT in a professional capacity, well, I have gonads. I'd tell them no if I really wanted to do photography on a once-in-a-lifetime situation. (Though I dive without friends or family, so always insta-buddy and if they don't ask and just assign me a novice buddy, I'm fine with that. I was a novice once.) If it's a dive I've done before, I might agree and expect to be paid what they pay their DM's. Including a share of tips. (If I'm acting in a professional capacity, the cameras would stay on board.)

4. I'm in favor of "fuller" BCDs on entrance for multiple reasons. The boat diving I do for fun (not work) is in the tropics. It isn't something I do every day. I'm using rental tanks and weights for sure, and a BCD I don't use in cold water. From one year to the next I couldn't tell you how much air I really need to be just positively buoyant on an ocean of unknown salinity. Assuming I did a proper buddy check I know my air is on. I can think of a least one person who did a deliberate negative entry, air was off, and they died as their drysuit squeezed them. Mistakes happen, especially with newer divers and divers with limited recent experience. I'm not saying don't do negative entries, ever; there are situations where this is a good idea. But those are situations anything other than highly experienced divers should not get into.

5. On clearing ears quickly and descending, "as any experienced diver should be able to do." Nonsense. There was a time I thought like this. I can easily clear my ears and have done rapid descents to close to 40 m without issue. I never "got" folks who were experienced and couldn't do the same. I began to modify when I was teaching SCUBA early on and realized that small women in particular often had issues. Makes sense: Small person, narrower Eustachian tubes. And then one day I couldn't easily or quickly get to the bottom of the swimming pool. No clue what was going on with me physiologically that day, but it happens. Never happened since.

I have also had the dive shop go to bat for me when some dude tried to steal my fins. I normally carry my fins back to my seat on the boat. One charter insisted on taking everyone’s fins and throwing them in a pile. It wasn’t until the next day that I realized I didn’t have my fins. The shop knew who had them, and when they called, he refused to bring them back. Fins are fins, apparently. The shop found and called his instructor and had him call him. He told him if him didn’t return my fins, he would never dive with them again. I got my fins back. He admitted to me that he knew they weren’t his fins, but he like them better. The shop made a lot of effort on that for me.
Wow, that's quite a story. I'd already be "freaking out" at the stage of throwing my fins in a pile of other fins. Maybe it's having shared a room as a kid, but I really don't like other people's stuff mixing with my stuff (or the other way around).

In the Philippines some of the guides are only rescue certified. Many of DM certified most will tell you they are DM certs even if only rescue level. Twice today my dive buddy and I who are similar on air had to cut our dive times short to 75 mins as the guide only had 40 bar when when had 80 bar. Guide was complaining about being cold as he did not wear his wetsuit. Water temp was 31C lol.
Don’t people get cold even in warm temps if they are diving a lot ?

Ah… fins work in the downward direction too.
Yes they do. At a moderate pace. A cannonball with outpace a fish every time, though.

IMHO RD is a joke if you’re not certifying every year. I’ve deployed three times and each time I took the Combat Lifesaver course. It’s been a minute since the last time and I certainly don’t consider myself to be up to speed anymore.

Strange decision based on misreading some incomplete information.
Maybe. But I dive for fun and I am not a professional. I don’t want to be sued because of cultural habits. In Europe, you don’t sue just because you feel you can make a buck.

That’s incorrect. In SSI, AOW is not a specialty you earn a certification for. It’s a recognition of completing 4 specialties. Rescue is a specialty, and AOW is not a prerequisite for it.
Maybe I am mistaken but I have always thought that my highest cert was RD and not AOW even though I do not really care. It will AOW 40 meters now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom