Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@scubadada, that’s correct. The first one sent me into an O2 violation 15 minutes into a 25’ dive (3rd dive on the unit). The second wouldn’t shut off (2nd dive on the unit) but the third is doing great with about 15 dives on it. I’m also one using it as backup to a Geo. I’ve talked to too many people who love their i300 to think anything other than it was poor luck. Kinda like a Subaru my wife had that blew a gasket and cracked a head right after it came out of warranty. Too many people love them for us to not think we just got a lemon.

Erik

I have a hoseless air integrated Suunto which is way more than I need for recreational diving. I was excited by the technology as well as one less hose when I bought it. Everything was fine until it died in the middle of a dive and I had no longer knew my tank pressure. Now I use a puck and a small analog pressure gauge as a back up. Should have stuck with those in the first place instead of wasting an extra $1000 for fancy bells and whistles.

The convenience of having your tank pressure numbers right there on your wrist is tough to beat as well as having the computer calculate your most limiting factor (N02 or gas remaining) and giving you a digital readout of dive time remaining. No reaching for a large gauge cluster and bringing it in front of your face and you don't have the extra bulk on the end of the hose. What I do is backup my AI wrist computer with a mini SPG on a thin hose, which is tucked behind my BCD with the gauge clipped off to a lower D ring. Hardly know it's there, and it's handy when I first check my rig on the boat- with the AI computer you gotta hold your wrist close enough and wait for the signal, with the SPG it's instant. And in the rare event I would have a failure of my AI wrist unit, I don't need to call the dive. I never paid more than $250 for the wrist unit and transmitter, always buying a used, older model that has all the important features except maybe multiple gases at once and "buddy check", or colorful screens and menus.

If we all wore the same shirts in the same color with the same pants and shoes and went to work in the same car, it would be a very boring life indeed. Even commies have given up this type of uniformity. You don't need anything if you don't want it or have no use for it. A Lada will get you from point A to point B just the same as a Mercedes would but there is a world of difference between the two in all aspects including type of owners with different tastes and needs and sophistication.

I suggest that you buy what you think/believe/know will be a good buy for you and not worry about others who buy or think differently from you. All is to his own.

I suggest that you buy what you think/believe/know will be a good buy for you and not worry about others who buy or think differently from you. All is to his own.

People don't always know. That's why they ask people who do, and they can read about what works and doesn't work for people and hopefully learn to ignore those who make draconian statements like "Don't use a dive computer, real divers use the tables and a bottom timer".

I have a hoseless air integrated Suunto which is way more than I need for recreational diving. I was excited by the technology as well as one less hose when I bought it. Everything was fine until it died in the middle of a dive and I had no longer knew my tank pressure. Now I use a puck and a small analog pressure gauge as a back up. Should have stuck with those in the first place instead of wasting an extra $1000 for fancy bells and whistles.

AI doesn't have anything to do with recreational vs. other type of diving. It is about having everything in one place on your wrist where it is easier/faster to read with a very quick glance without needing to stop and use a hand to look for and hold the console. It also gives you more information about your gas consumption. I have been using strictly hoseless AI DC since late 90's and the reliability of these products has increased dramatically since circa early 2000's.

Last edited:
People don't always know. That's why they ask people who do, and they can read about what works and doesn't work for people and hopefully learn to ignore those who make draconian statements like "Don't use a dive computer, real divers use the tables and a bottom timer".

There are different ways to ask about what they don't know and each way conveys different meanings and implications. If they see a feature in one computer they don't understand, they ask what that feature is about and what it is used for which different from questioning why people buy/do what they buy/do on wholesale.

In defense of my bottom timer, it is decades old and still works, as long as I remember to wind it!

I don't dive an AI computer. Not because I have anything against them. I'm a warm water rec diver and usually limited by NDL not gas consumption. It's the genetic lottery... some folks got good looks, some got brains, some got athletic ability, I have a low carbon foot print :dork2:...who f'n hoo. Glad I'm a diver. Get the computer that fulfills your needs and go diving. :bounce::bounce::bounce: Have fun. :)

You don't "need" fins, you can just kick harder and go a lot slower. You don't "need" a mask, you can just see blurry. You don't "need" a wetsuit in chilly water, you can just be cold. You don't "need" a tank on your back you can just take a deep breath and enjoy a much shorter dive. Etc Etc.

In fact some Dive Ops require a computer when doing deep wreck dives, including most Florida Keys Dive Ops.

But I guess you don't "need" to dive deep wrecks either.

I think you missread 1_T_submariner's post. I think he was saying you do not need an expensive computer for rec diving not that you do not need a computer since he was saying he had a computer.

You don't "need" fins, you can just kick harder and go a lot slower. You don't "need" a mask, you can just see blurry. You don't "need" a wetsuit in chilly water, you can just be cold. You don't "need" a tank on your back you can just take a deep breath and enjoy a much shorter dive. Etc Etc.

In fact some Dive Ops require a computer when doing deep wreck dives, including most Florida Keys Dive Ops.

But I guess you don't "need" to dive deep wrecks either.

And you don't "need" to point out the Blantantly obvious without answering the OP's question about needing the "Most Expensive" part. For the dives you describe his Aqualung I300 would be fine.

You actually do "need" a Tank or it's not SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apperatus).

Have a great day!!!

Back
Top Bottom