Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melinda Robins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I may get a barrage of "Are you kidding: of COURSE". But I'm getting my first set-up and it's an awful lot of money. The dive shop and my OW instructor who has become a friend say I really ought to get one. I know I can stay down longer, etc., etc. But to be honest, I'm not expecting to become as avid a diver as y'all seem to be, I just want to be able to go down with my own comfortable, safe equipment and have a good time. At 54 and not much of a materialist to begin with, all this "stuff" is kind of a drag. I plan to go on hopefullly two trips a year to warm places, and a handful of times in the cold waters near boston.

So, what do you think?

melinda Robins:
I may get a barrage of "Are you kidding: of COURSE". But I'm getting my first set-up and it's an awful lot of money. The dive shop and my OW instructor who has become a friend say I really ought to get one. I know I can stay down longer, etc., etc. But to be honest, I'm not expecting to become as avid a diver as y'all seem to be, I just want to be able to go down with my own comfortable, safe equipment and have a good time. At 54 and not much of a materialist to begin with, all this "stuff" is kind of a drag. I plan to go on hopefullly two trips a year to warm places, and a handful of times in the cold waters near boston.

So, what do you think?

For recreational (above 130 feet and no decompression) diving, the principle advantage of a dive computer is the extended times it allows in multi-level diving. This is especially advantageous when diving on a wall where one can begin deep and slowly work one's way up to the top of the wall.

There are options other than owning a computer - you can dive the tables and accept the shorter dives in some cases, you can rent a computer, or some tropical dive operations will require or allow you to stay close to a divemaster who will guide you on a very conservative profile.

If you dive a table, carry one with you, probably tucked into your BC pocket, just in case the dive doesn't go as planned - sooner or later one won't.

If you are not diving all that much, renting may be a better option. Downside is that you may not be able to rent a model which you did the previous time, and they all operate a bit different. You could rent for now, and look for used. Kinda depends on your budget, and what the local shops charge to rent, how much you are going to dive local. Out here in silicon valley, I can rent a wrist computer at one place for $15 per week, or a regulator with attached computer for $25 per week. I rented all my gear here and took it on a dive trip in the tropics -- cheaper than renting there for a couple of days!

If you do not have a dive computer, you will need a good watch for diving.

If you don't want to purchas a computer just rent one.

Keep in mind if you ever take a decompression hit the chamber would like to see your dive profile. Although other devices such as bottom times or quage devices may have this info, will you have the discipline to keep track of all it?

Another way to look at the issue is, find a dive computer that has other uses. ie a watch. SUUNTO has a nice dive computer that is also a wristwatch. This is quite nice for travel, small and you don't have to pack it. The cost isn't to bad either.

Here is a link for additional info on the SUUNTO D6;
http://www.suunto.com/suunto/Worlds...older_id=2534374302755331&bmUID=1177027894462

Salaam

chris

melinda Robins:
I plan to go on hopefullly two trips a year to warm places, and a handful of times in the cold waters near boston.

So, what do you think?

Yes, you really really want a computer if you really intend to dive on those trips. On a serious dive trip you will be making 3-5 dives per day and you will want a computer to give you all the bottom time advantage possible. It's a small investment when you bounce it against vacation costs.

As a new diver your air usage may make you self regulating to some extent for a while but that is nothing to count on. You would of course need to dive tables and while limiting it is certainly doable. Relying on your buddy or DM is a poor idea, they cannot have your complete dive history and this is not about a single dive.

I have heard that resorts will rent computers for $10 per day but with your projected travel a simple non integrated nitrox ready computer is a slam dunk purchase.

Pete

shurite7:
SUUNTO has a nice dive computer that is also a wristwatch. This is quite nice for travel, small and you don't have to pack it. The cost isn't to bad either.

Here is a link for additional info on the SUUNTO D6;

:confused:
The D6 is one of the more expensive dive computers in the market at a retail price of $879, almost three times as expensive as the cheapest ones!!

Basic, but perfectly usable and user friendly dive computers such as the Oceanic Veo 100NX can be had for under $300, and if you get it instead of the depth gauge in the console (you will need the depth gauge if you don't get a dive computer), the additional cost will only be $200 or so.

Having it will be much nicer for you compared to using a watch and tables, especially if you aren't going to dive often to keep in practice running the watch and tables.

That said, diving with tables is quite doable, and renting is also an option, although you might reach the break-even point pretty soon if you keep renting. (Not to mention you need to keep familiarizing yourself with a different computer every time you rent.)

Yes get one, but remember ignorance is bliss. Basic knowledge of your tables and a G shock is plenty good.

After purchasing a bendometer you just may suddenly find yourself burdened with pesky stuff like nitrogen tissue loading warnings, acent rate warnings, safety stops buzzers, surface interval lockouts, and time to fly timers.

My first dive with my computer, I wanted to leave the beeping flashing POS on the bottom but now wont get wet without one.

Being in a similar boat as you just getting into diving ...I say use one..it may be more resonable for you to rent vs buy depending on your area ..here its 15 bucks for 2 days..kinda high for a air only..but having used one ..its soo much better you can pick up an air only basic computer for under 200 at many places..nitrox would be better so you can grow into it ..but if you never plan on going to that stage air only would suit you fine..once you dive WITH it ..youll never wanna dive WITHOUT it ..and being new you sometimes tend to lose track of depth and bottom time looking at all the scenery..just my .02

I wouldn't say that you need one. I agree with the others that they are useful to extend bottom time and multi dive multi day trips. You might want to work the tables for a little while make sure you like diving before buying one.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom